Dark coloration on only one side of my green chromis

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New reefer here. First post. So, I setup a new tank six weeks ago. Got a couple of clownfish and added them to the tank. It was cycling well. Then I started reading more and realized that I should have quarantined even my first fish before adding them to the DT. So, I decided to setup a QT and let my DT fallow for 76 days even through the clownfish weren't showing any signs of disease.

This weekend I also got a couple green chromis and add them to QT so the two clownfish and the two green chromis will go through quarantine together (I know I probably need more green chromis). Anyways, when I brought the green chromis from LFS, it had normal coloration but then I started noticing a black mark on one side of one of the fish. The other side of the green chromis is fine and the other specimen is also fine. I don't know if this is a disease or something else. I will be treating for all diseases anyway (haven't started adding copper, etc. to the tank yet). So, I wanted to know what it is

I have read that green chromis can get uronema but this doesn't look like it.

Also weird is the fact that it sort of grows and shrinks. Something related to stress? For example, I did a 50% water change because the ammonia was rising and it probably stressed it out and the black coloration spread to more of the body (but still one one side) and then after a while it was back to the original state near the head.

It is eating fine but it is the shiest one. Mostly hangs in one corner or goes in the PVC pipe. There doesn't appear to be any bullying issue.

PXL_20201109_151358084.jpg

PXL_20201109_151423191.MP.jpg

and here it is soon after a water change. See how the dark coloration has spread (it returned to the original state after a while)

PXL_20201109_174401265.jpg

and here is a short video

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You're correct, when you have a new green chromis that has a discolored patch on one side like that, it is almost always Uronema and that really isn't treatable, as it begins deep down in the fish's muscle tissue and it is too late once you see it rise to the surface.

That said, two things point away from that diagnosis - the changing in the size of the spot and the fact that the fish isn't breathing fast (yet).

I think you should begin the copper treatment now, and once done, give a 2x dose with General Cure or Prazipro.

Jay

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Watch out with that QT tank as well, that's a small tank for that amount of fish, only reason I say that is your ammonia level is going to rise very quickly. You are most likely going to have to do a 100% water change every day to keep the ammonia in check. Not sure how that will affect any medication you are going to try because you will be taking it all out with a water change. You could always add something like Dr. Tim's or Bio-Spira to make the tank instantly fish safe, but you will need to research what else to do to keep the ammonia down as the fish keep adding to the ammonia load. I am sure someone else who has more experience with QT tanks than me will correct me or add to my suggestion. Good luck to you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
+1 on Uronema and common with chromis

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

Two questions ...

@Jay Hemdal If it is Uronema, should I assume the other chromis also has it even though it is not showing any signs of it? How about the clownfish?

@Arcticfirefighter agree the QT is a bit small. If I use microbacter7 is it safe to use in combination with Coper power, Prazipro? I mean will it reduce the effectiveness of those medications? Adding bacteria seems easier than 100% water changes if it works

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is ubiquitous and can isolated from most aquariums. It normally feeds n bacteria. For some reason it becomes a parasite in some species: seahorses, anthias and chromis. It sometimes does spread, but not much to do to stop it, make sure the tank doesn’t have uneaten food left in it, and Uronema thrives in low salinity.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back