Dead clown and sick looking Xenia

coralalien117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, today I woke up to find my clownfish dead and my corals sad.
For context, yesterday I did a 50% Waterchange for my Nitrites being high and the water being very very green (ammonia was also high)
During this water change I moved my Fish and coral into another tank filled with the water from the other so they wouldn't be shocked. (I had a wakemaker, and a small filter to keep water good for the time being)
1- my GSP coral
it simply wont open, but it otherwise looks well
2. My Xenia, My xenia is pale, limp, and does not pulse, I believe it is mostly dead except for a few stalks possibly.
3. My clownfish, During the late night, I woke up to check on them (randomly), and found her alive but on her side hiding under a rock.
But, when I woke up, she was completely under the rock, on her side, limp and sadly dead.

1679838019403.png

Im really not sure right now, I acclimated very well, I made sure the water was on point, salt everything.

Salt = 1.025
PH 8.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Temp was a little high, which I Think is the culprit being 79.3F, which changed over the night and shocked her possibly, or maybe she was stressed.
Im not good with clownfish diseases but she definetly did not look good in that picture.

Im not sure what to do about my corals, and I really want to keep them alive, so can anyone tell me the next steps

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature of your tank at 79 has nothing to do with this. You said your Ammonia was high there’s your answer right there. How old is your tank that your ammonia and nitrites are high like that

OP
OP
C

coralalien117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia was a little high, enough to make someone nervous but not to kill, the ammonia is at 0 right now
its about 4 months old, well cycled and well kept

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia was a little high, enough to make someone nervous but not to kill, the ammonia is at 0 right now
its about 4 months old, well cycled and well
You did a water change because Nitrites were too high of did you mean Nitrates?

OP
OP
C

coralalien117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is if the Clownfish is diseased, and if the Xenia being Limp and pale was bad

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is if the Clownfish is diseased, and if the Xenia being Limp and pale was bad
I understand but the ammonia in the tank is a concern and could have definitely been part of the issue. A properly cycled tank should not have an ammonia spike unless something bad went wrong and even then the biological filter if matured could stop that from happening. If it was just the clownfish I would say disease, however it’s your corals too I’m I am leaning towards a water quality issue. Do you use RO water

OP
OP
C

coralalien117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use RO water from Walmart. I believe now that Xenia is alive because it has started to pulse (slightly)
But im still at a loss for what disease my Clown had, for I want another fish in the future.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back