Determining daily dose

cpballer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is 6 and cal is 460. I’m gonna start dosing 2 part( sodium carb and cal). I need to correct the alk first right by adding sodium carb or bicarbonate.? Then once I have my alk at 8.5. I will leave my tank alone for one week and I will test how low my alk and cal went down to and that will determine my daily dosing? Is this process correct? Should I also stop putting Kalk in my ato?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is 6 and cal is 460. I’m gonna start dosing 2 part( sodium carb and cal). I need to correct the alk first right by adding sodium carb or bicarbonate.? Then once I have my alk at 8.5. I will leave my tank alone for one week and I will test how low my alk and cal went down to and that will determine my daily dosing? Is this process correct? Should I also stop putting Kalk in my ato?
Personally I wouldn’t dose sodium carbonate (soda ash) and kalk at the same time. Both boost PH which if too much, can cause precipitation issues and drastically over complicate dosing. I’d stick with one or the other and IME, kalk via ATO is a step down from soda ash on doser. Also, the size of your tank is going to be a factor on how much to dose. It’s better to start with a small dose each day until you notice an increase over the course of a week and adjust once it plateaus , than trying to “set” your alk, track the consumption and adjust daily.

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this good to dose with?

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_144541.jpg
    IMG_20210120_144541.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 15

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back