DI Resin Layers

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about what I can take away from the layers showing up in my DI resin, which is the standard mixed bed resin from BRS. In the picture below, the blue resin at the top is obviously still good, and the amber layer at the bottom is obviously spent. However, what about the white layer in the middle? Is that simply "being used but not spent" or is it indicative of the anion part of the mixed DI resin being consumed faster than the cation, and when the cation is consumed, it will turn amber?

Has anyone else seen this same behavior?

20201126_163219834_iOS.jpg

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like a negative space in between the resins from loose packing. Are you packing the canister really tight to the point that it is touch to get the bottom ring on because the resin is trying to come out from the pressure at the same time?

OP
OP
uninformed

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like a negative space in between the resins from loose packing. Are you packing the canister really tight to the point that it is touch to get the bottom ring on because the resin is trying to come out from the pressure at the same time?
Ha ha...no, it is definitely full of resin, direct from BRS. If you zoom in on the full-sized image, you can see how the layers meld into one another.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I had to ask. I zoomed in but was not sure if it was a void as I have had a pocket in the past and it looked just like that expect smaller. If its packed well i would guess its just a dye issue. Im sure with making tons of dyed resin that some hiccups happen. Is this the only one that you have that has done this and if so do you have another on the shelf from the same order?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like normal BRS colour changing resin.
But I don’t follow the colour, I follow my tds meter.
Even after the dark colour is gone, I get 30-40g of 0-1 tds water and the stuff is expensive.

looks like 1/3 remaining, 1/3 getting exhausted, and 1/3 exhausted.

OP
OP
uninformed

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like 1/3 remaining, 1/3 getting exhausted, and 1/3 exhausted.
That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I was hoping maybe there was more to learn there. I’ll just keep a close eye on the TDS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back