Diatoms or Dino’s or algae? I can’t figure out what’s happening.

ocellarisoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on with my reef. It was running smoothly for 5 months once everything got established after 2 months. It’s been up and running for 7 months total.

Mostly a softy and LPS tank. Nothing too demanding. I dose and test every week. Things went south after I caught mono. I didn’t feed for 5-6 days (I could barely feed myself). Everything used to grow fairly quickly. Now nothing is opening up/growing, even my Xenia and gsp which were weeds before this all happened. Any thoughts?

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 11.2 salifert
Calcium 420 salifert
Nitrate ~5ppm
Phosphate 0ppm

IMG_5312.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on with my reef. It was running smoothly for 5 months once everything got established after 2 months. It’s been up and running for 7 months total.

Mostly a softy and LPS tank. Nothing too demanding. I dose and test every week. Things went south after I caught mono. I didn’t feed for 5-6 days (I could barely feed myself). Everything used to grow fairly quickly. Now nothing is opening up/growing, even my Xenia and gsp which were weeds before this all happened. Any thoughts?

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 11.2 salifert
Calcium 420 salifert
Nitrate ~5ppm
Phosphate 0ppm

IMG_5312.jpeg
There seems to be a mixture of white and brown slimy growth that taking over the surface. @taricha is this another example of Chrysophytes?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back