Did I get one of the bad snails?

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this snail today. It was almost to the top of my 40 breeder hanging out on my magnet cleaner. It looks different than the other nassarius snails that I have. The shell isn’t as smooth and it’s trunk/mouth looked striped instead of a solid gray.
I’ve had this tank up for a little over a year and bought six nassarius snails in the beginning but don’t remember any of them looking any different than the other. I’m guessing this guy hitch hiked in from somewhere. It’s probably 2-2.5” long
546A3340.jpeg
546A3345.jpeg

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a predatory whelk snail. Your description of it’s trunk confirms it. Here is one I caught redhanded eating a bumble bee snail. They are nocturnal and don’t go under the sand like nassarius snails.

CA968DC8-F166-4BE9-B083-57D4C531C380.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this snail today. It was almost to the top of my 40 breeder hanging out on my magnet cleaner. It looks different than the other nassarius snails that I have. The shell isn’t as smooth and it’s trunk/mouth looked striped instead of a solid gray.
I’ve had this tank up for a little over a year and bought six nassarius snails in the beginning but don’t remember any of them looking any different than the other. I’m guessing this guy hitch hiked in from somewhere. It’s probably 2-2.5” long
546A3340.jpeg
546A3345.jpeg
Hard to say for sure with the shell hidden under that detritus (and a handful of vermetid snails), but the description does sound different.

If you can get pics of the foot/proboscis (the "trunk" of the snail) and the underside/opening of the shell, that would be helpful in trying to say for sure one way or another.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it back up on the glass tonight so I grabbed some pics. Don’t know if these will help or not but I did my best with my phone in one hand and a flashlight in the other.
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4342.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On the glass usually isn't a good whelk.

With that said, my Nassarius have gone to the top of the tank before, usually on rocks - not glass. @ISpeakForTheSeas knows more but usually the sand dwellers are the "good" ones and the non-sand dwellers aren't so great to have.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the glass usually isn't a good whelk.

With that said, my Nassarius have gone to the top of the tank before, usually on rocks - not glass. @ISpeakForTheSeas knows more but usually the sand dwellers are the "good" ones and the non-sand dwellers aren't so great to have.
As I was taking that picture, two of my six “normal” nassarius snails were on my glass. The six look like this pic. Somewhat smoother shell, solid gray trunks and whitish/pinkish foot.
I think they all go into the sand. I know the ones in this pic do and I’m guessing the “bad” snail does also. I never see it out during the day.
IMG_4346.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it back up on the glass tonight so I grabbed some pics. Don’t know if these will help or not but I did my best with my phone in one hand and a flashlight in the other.
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4342.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg
It's tough to find good pics of the live snail to compare it with, but the striped proboscis there with the "pinched" portion between the middle of the shell and the back of the shell reminds me of the Smoky Goblet Snail, Pollia fumosa:
Looks to me like it may be a "Smoky Goblet" snail, Pollia fumosa - it's in the whelk Superfamily (Buccinoidea), but not the "true whelk" Family (Buccinidae); Nassarius snails (Family Nassariidae) and Dove snails (Family Columbellidae) are in the same Superfamily.

If it is a Smoky Goblet snail, then it is a mollusk (snails, bivalves, etc.) predator, so it may eat your other snails.
The link below has a couple of decent pics of live specimens, including some with the visible stripes:

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough to find good pics of the live snail to compare it with, but the striped proboscis there with the "pinched" portion between the middle of the shell and the back of the shell reminds me of the Smoky Goblet Snail, Pollia fumosa:

The link below has a couple of decent pics of live specimens, including some with the visible stripes:
Thank you!
I does look like the bottom left pic in that link. As far as I can tell anyway.
I’ll keep an eye on it and if I find it up to no good I’ll get rid of it. I’ll take some decent pics for the “archive” before I do though.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back