What’s this on my Nassarius snail shell?

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, if its something that can harm corals, why wouldn't you want to remove any that you can, regardless of whether or not more pop up?
Are you advocating the OP just throw in the towel and break down the tank?
Break down the tank . Get a grip, I didn't say a word about breaking nothing down . I said there will be more they ain't gonna be just contained to that 1 snail shell .

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break down the tank . Get a grip, I didn't say a word about breaking nothing down . I said there will be more they ain't gonna be just contained to that 1 snail shell .
My point exactly. Assuming he doesn't want them to spread, there's no reason NOT to remove them from the snail, even if there may be more elsewhere .

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point exactly. Assuming he doesn't want them to spread, there's no reason NOT to remove them from the snail, even if there may be more elsewhere .
I agree removing them from the snail shell, but I disagree with getting rid of the snail completely. Like I said the op will be extremely lucky if they are just on that snail shell .

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side topic, does Hawaii not have native detritivore snails?

We do, but I'm not all that sure on the laws regarding invert take here, even if it's allowed at all. Hermits I know we're allowed but snails could be a different thing entirely.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do, but I'm not all that sure on the laws regarding invert take here, even if it's allowed at all. Hermits I know we're allowed but snails could be a different thing entirely.
Sure, that makes sense. Unless it's a protected species, you can probably collect them if you have a fishing license. But, if you had good local critters, I'm sure an LFS there would collect and sell them :)

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, that makes sense. Unless it's a protected species, you can probably collect them if you have a fishing license. But, if you had good local critters, I'm sure an LFS there would collect and sell them :)

Nope, illegal to sell inverts here LOL. And we aren't allowed to collect from the ocean with the purpose of selling livestock. Having a collection permit is practically impossible to get, they haven't issued any. Recreationally we won't need one to collect certain fish species, but there isn't really any info for inverts. Normally the best bet here is to check out local groups for people that may be selling theirs.

I could be wrong regarding snail collection, but better to be safe than getting slapped with a fine from the state :upside-down-face:

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, illegal to sell inverts here LOL. And we aren't allowed to collect from the ocean with the purpose of selling livestock. Having a collection permit is practically impossible to get, they haven't issued any. Recreationally we won't need one to collect certain fish species, but there isn't really any info for inverts. Normally the best bet here is to check out local groups for people that may be selling theirs.

I could be wrong regarding snail collection, but better to be safe than getting slapped with a fine from the state :upside-down-face:
That is complex. Being land locked in a desert i never thought about being able to harvest from the wild or any legalities involved.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is complex. Being land locked in a desert i never thought about being able to harvest from the wild or any legalities involved.

I get it though, we have to go to great lengths to make sure that our ecosystem doesn't get any more ruined than it already is.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found very similar on one of my snails! I scrubbed it with peroxide and have been keeping a close eye on my tank. Haven't found more yet thankfully. Not sure if there is a good way to get rid of them

How were you able to do it without harming the snail?

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up some images of advanced hydroids. Can i post a pic here see what you guys think? This is my first exposure to this topic but i think my algae growing tank with my dwarfs might have this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back