Weird growth on hermit crab shell

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this hermit a few weeks ago. It has since moved on to a new shell but I noticed this stuff starting to grow on its shell. I got the crab because the shell looked cool. It looks like a bunch of polyps almost. Pink stalks with fingers at the top. It seems to be coming from the all growths on the shell. Please help. I’ve attached pictures and links to videos of the issue

IMG_2381.jpeg IMG_2380.jpeg IMG_2376.jpeg

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a kind of colonial hydroids to me - removal is generally suggested.
Yes I believe that’s what it is. I read a bit into this post,
Post in thread 'What’s this on my Nassarius snail shell?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what’s-this-on-my-nassarius-snail-shell.1048628/post-12425656

They have a clearer picture. Mine are similar but more grouped together. Other people suggested to them it was hydroids so I went ahead and assumed that’s what mine were. Shell has been removed. Any natural predators for these?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any natural predators for these?
Possibly - there definitely are some in the wild, but figuring out which predator will go for your type of hydroids would be incredibly difficult, and a lot of the predators of hydroids (such as a number of Sea Spiders/Pycnogonids) aren't reef-safe.

That said, I know some people say hermit crabs (Blue Legs and Halloweens) or urchins will go for at least some of the common hydroids in our tanks, but I can't personally verify that, and there's no guarantee it would work for you.

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly - there definitely are some in the wild, but figuring out which predator will go for your type of hydroids would be incredibly difficult, and a lot of the predators of hydroids (such as a number of Sea Spiders/Pycnogonids) aren't reef-safe.

That said, I know some people say hermit crabs (Blue Legs and Halloweens) or urchins will go for at least some of the common hydroids in our tanks, but I can't personally verify that, and there's no guarantee it would work for you.
Thank you! I will try and look into that some more.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back