Dilemma to keep fish or a small coral tank if time is a factor.

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I been on this hobby closed to 10yrs. Ever since I got my own family, I don't think I got the time luxury to maintain 2 tank. 1 is a 2ft cube reef, I'm just doing the regular maintenance with daily dosing of All for Reef. Another is a small 30cm tank just for fun with some softies & LPS, that one I even less maintenance, WC also maybe I'm just doing it on a monthly basis.
Even though I don't really have much time, but my passion in this hobby still remains. As such I got this dilemma for future planning.
Whereby I will sell both of my tank. But the dilemma I got is, should I upgrade to a slightly larger tank maybe a 3ft tank just to keep some softies only, but mainly to make it as a fairy wrasse tank, since I like them so much.
OR I'm downgrading it to a smaller AIO tank, mainly to keep some of the current corals I own with current small fish like the tail spot blenny & pink streaked wrasse.

Which one will you choose to go If you were a family guy with less time?

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, combine into a single, larger (non-AIO) tank with a sump.
I’m at the early of stages of acquiring a new tank and am looking at AIOs/sumps/etc for the first time (my only experience is with HOB equipment). I’m curious why you suggest non-AIO since my understanding is that many AIO tanks are built ready for sumps.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger tanks are better! The only downside to a big tank is the bigger amount of $$$. But they are more stable, they are better capable of missing a water change when a 'life issue' pops up. With a little bit of automation you can't cut the amount of time you are involved by quite a bit.

Dave B

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back