Dino ID

ndizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is someone able to assist with Dino ID?

I do believe I have Dinos, PHOS and Nitrate at 0. If I suck them out, they don’t get caught in filter and reconnect themselves in the bucket.

I pulled some out and viewed under a microscope, but didn’t see a lot of movement from them, but they look similar to pictures I’ve seen.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

IMG_3043.jpeg IMG_3042.jpeg

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is someone able to assist with Dino ID?

I do believe I have Dinos, PHOS and Nitrate at 0. If I suck them out, they don’t get caught in filter and reconnect themselves in the bucket.

I pulled some out and viewed under a microscope, but didn’t see a lot of movement from them, but they look similar to pictures I’ve seen.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

IMG_3043.jpeg IMG_3042.jpeg
Pictures are not focused enough for an ID, but Google Prorocentrum or Amphidinium and see if either looks like yours.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooming in on the picture I would be leaning more to Prorocentrum. If it is Prorocentrum then they are pretty toxic they go into the water at night so a UV is the best bet at trying to defeat them. Need to raise PO4 and NO3 so you get some competition from diatoms and other bacteria to out compete them.

OP
OP
N

ndizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I agree on the Prorocentrum call out. I Do not have a UV but this’ll probably be the final trigger for me to get one.

It sucks to see my tank in bad shape from this, but every set back is a chance to learn, grow, and improve!

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back