Dino overtake again

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I beat small cell amphidinium 6 months ago via sponge excel , raising nitrates and phosphates to outcompete with GHA. Got GHA under control and BOOM dinos are back but I believe they are large cell now from what I can tell via microscope. I believe my problem may be I am used to having 65g or larger tank but now have waterbox15 nano . I am used to there always being nitrates and phosphates because of larger water volume and I think I am bottoming those out with a nano. Getting rid of the GHA was a nightmare and killed alot of corals. I am hesitant to go this route again because the GHA is hard to get under control even with a good CUC in this nano. Should I pull all the sand a bit at a time , go barebottom then introduce new sand after a while ? I have a deep sand bed now. These dinos are driving me nuts.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose the tank with Dino x and get it over with. 3 week treatment and no side effects. Promotes biological booms (pods etc) and doesn’t harm coral. I battled 3 species of dinos for 8 months and tried no water changes, blackouts, cheato reactor, siphoning with a filter sock, and a uv sterilizer with no success. Good luck!

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos are hard. I am impressed anyone can keep them stable for long enough to take a photo let alone over years. Dinos are normally associated with big swings in parameters (you probably know this anyway) but it is worth keeping it simple here and maybe thats it? Large frequent water changes helped me through Dinos outbreaks and then doing as little as possible to encourage stability and balance in your system. Any way you can add volume to the system with a sump or something? I ran a 2 foot cube with a 1000 liter sump in my basement, stable as a rock....:).

OP
OP
Jcraven

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose the tank with Dino x and get it over with. 3 week treatment and no side effects. Promotes biological booms (pods etc) and doesn’t harm coral. I battled 3 species of dinos for 8 months and tried no water changes, blackouts, cheato reactor, siphoning with a filter sock, and a uv sterilizer with no success. Good luck!
I may have to do this. I heard vibrant has given success as well but heard dinox has had coral deaths.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria rules the world!!
0F98E6A5-F803-44DC-9173-3EF4DAB45155.png

OP
OP
Jcraven

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank. You seem to be going from one extreme to the other.
Tank is approx. 1yr. Low nitrates and phosphate is what caused it for sure from running chemipure etc... Never even knew dinos existed until this happened. I have run multiple successful reefs and never had dinos until a nano.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to do this. I heard vibrant has given success as well but heard dinox has had coral deaths.
I didn’t have any coral deaths. My purple monster zoas skirts closed up a bit near the end of the treatment but that was all the negative side effects I saw.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos are hard. I am impressed anyone can keep them stable for long enough to take a photo let alone over years. Dinos are normally associated with big swings in parameters (you probably know this anyway) but it is worth keeping it simple here and maybe thats it? Large frequent water changes helped me through Dinos outbreaks and then doing as little as possible to encourage stability and balance in your system. Any way you can add volume to the system with a sump or something? I ran a 2 foot cube with a 1000 liter sump in my basement, stable as a rock....:).
Oh it’s pretty easy to keep a nano stable ;)

BA0D0187-0B15-4785-8EEB-BE8ABC410F2A.jpeg

OP
OP
Jcraven

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is packed full of coral too ;)
(During treatment)

90EA0F93-0A2A-416C-A365-916973AF4127.jpeg
So you say it also encourages good bacteria as well and pods. After treatment should I test nitrates and phosphates and make sure they never bottom out via feeding or dosing if needed? Also how do you keep GHA under control with running higher numbers ?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you say it also encourages good bacteria as well and pods. After treatment should I test nitrates and phosphates and make sure they never bottom out via feeding or dosing if needed? Also how do you keep GHA under control with running higher numbers ?
Yes, I had a huge pod bloom after the treatment. They were BIG pods too. My wrasse and diamond goby have been fat ever since. I run nitrates around 20ppm and phosphates at .15. I always had a bit of hair algae for the first year. My current cuc is a tuxedo urchin, 3 emerald crabs, 1 sally light foot (which doesn’t eat anything but fish food lol), lawnmower bleny (which just cleans the glass and frags ;Rage) and 1 astera snail. Just keep feeding. But a few more fish if you have to. Auto feeders help keep up the nutrients as well.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easier to control algae than it is to control dinos. You can buy inverts etc that eat algae. Not so much with dinos.

OP
OP
Jcraven

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had a huge pod bloom after the treatment. They were BIG pods too. My wrasse and diamond goby have been fat ever since. I run nitrates around 20ppm and phosphates at .15. I always had a bit of hair algae for the first year. My current cuc is a tuxedo urchin, 3 emerald crabs, 1 sally light foot (which doesn’t eat anything but fish food lol), lawnmower bleny (which just cleans the glass and frags ;Rage) and 1 astera snail. Just keep feeding. But a few more fish if you have to. Auto feeders help keep up the nutrients as well.
Awesome. Thanks man I really appreciate it. I have read threw alot of the dino thread on here but there hundreds of pages . I understand what I did to cause them and was looking cut clear answers without sifting threw all that again. I will give dinox a shot , keep nutrients up while boosting CUC . Hopefully this will be the end of them .

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks man I really appreciate it. I have read threw alot of the dino thread on here but there hundreds of pages . I understand what I did to cause them and was looking cut clear answers without sifting threw all that again. I will give dinox a shot , keep nutrients up while boosting CUC . Hopefully this will be the end of them .
Just make sure to stop the water changes as well. That will help nutrients go up too. Good luck! :)

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried UV? I've had nanos for 15 years with little trouble and now I'm dealing with my first bout of Dinos. It's really weird, they seem to be going around right now.

I've been able to almost be rid of them in 1 week with a UV Sterilizer and MicroBacter7. I also suck out what I can with a turkey baster.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yeah, very impressive. I probably should have said that "I" find Nanos hard. I am very impressed with you guys who keep them stable over time. I wonder how awesome you could keep a big tank....:)
Mine is nowhere nearly as impressive as some other nanos. Check out eat sleep reef’s jbj45 on YouTube! That is a nano! Bigger tank, I’m working on that but I just don’t have a place to put it. The spare bedroom has unfortunately become the lady’s “craft room” ;Dead

OP
OP
Jcraven

Jcraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to stop the water changes as well. That will help nutrients go up too. Good luck! :)
Yes I read that water changes help dinos as well. Thanks again much appreciated. I think I'll slowly take a turkey baster and suck out small amounts of sand as well to get to 1" or lower sandbed so I dont have to worry about a nutrient sink and can eventually siphon sand and keep it looking nice . should have never went with it in a nano.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read that water changes help dinos as well. Thanks again much appreciated. I think I'll slowly take a turkey baster and suck out small amounts of sand as well to get to 1" or lower sandbed so I dont have to worry about a nutrient sink and can eventually siphon sand and keep it looking nice . should have never went with it in a nano.
I have a 2-2.5 in dsb in my tank. Granted I have a diamond goby that doesn’t let anything settle on his pristine sand bed before he freaks out and goes ocd on that one spot. Lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back