Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Dinos and do believe it gets in every system sooner or later but in a more mature system it les likely cause an outbreak as there is plenty of competition to keep it in control.
live rock is jus one of the way to introduce competition and if you are lucky the competitors spread faster in your tank than Dinos.
we have however witness statements in the Dino tread of people with live rocks and more than 1 year old systems experience Dino outbreak after something causes imbalance.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in all the buckets LOL. I HAVE in fact used LR and had dynos. However, I find them hard to totally avoid with a new tank with base rock (which not seeded) and a refugium running. I just find that at some point I seem to strip the nutrients low enough and the balance just isn't stable enough to avoid them. However, by cutting refugium photo period and feeding a lot more I find that they eventually go away. I do NOT try and get them to go away super quickly anymore. Good things happen slowly.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos when my tank just had dry rock (bought used - per info from previous buyer). I removed most dry rock due to a vermetid infestation. I bought 40lbs of live rock and my dinos took off at first, I blew the rock off regularly, and the dinos were dying off after about 2 weeks. No other “treatment” had been started at that point. Now my Cyano is still there and I have a small bit of green hair algae but yea. I can’t directly attribute live rock to no dinos but it seemed to be convenient I add live rock and they pretty much die off after a brief bloom and now cannot be found in my system

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered ....
I expect you mean pest dinos covering large areas. Every tank has dinos. Actually, zooxanthella are technically dinoflagelattes so... I've got loads in every reef tank I've ever kept. Yeah sorry to be "that guy".

IME pest-level dinos are a phase from dry rock that go away with time if you practice good maintenance

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back