Dinos in QT - How to Proceed?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've had some corals and a sixline wrasse in QT for 6 months or so and they're all doing well. I've been wanting to move them to my DT for a while now, but I'm having one heck of a dino outbreak in my QT. It's a fairly basic system, just live rock, flow, and a HOB skimmer, so I'm not really surprised that the dinos were able to take hold.

Here's the problem though. I don't want to spend a ton of time and money upgrading my QT to battle the dinos. I'll likely take the QT down once I move the corals and fish anyway. But, I also don't want to introduce dinos to my display, which has nuisance algae, but so far is dino-free.

I've read about dinos and believe I understand a good bit about them, but I'm still uneasy moving the corals to my display. It sounds like we believe that dinos are a result of some nutrient or biological imbalance, and once another organism (copepod, alga, bacterium) out-competes them for whatever it is that they eat, they die. Dinos used to be a part of the nuisance algae that cropped up when a tank was new, but they usually died down once the tank got established. Is it true that biological diversity will keep the dinos in check? If so, my display is reasonably mature (2+ years old) and I don't think the dinos will survive in the DT.

I do have a frag system which is basically empty now, which I wouldn't mind infecting with dinos. It's much more advanced than my QT and I'd have a much easier time fighting the dinos there. My only concern is nothing is living in the frag system and it's not very biologically established, so I don't know how well it would support the acros I have in QT.

I'm just not sure where to go from here. Will my biologically-mature DT be able to out-compete the dinos? It seems to me that dinos, like it or not, are a part of the hobby now, and keeping them out of a system is almost impossible. In which case, banking on biodiversity or control methods like UV sterilization seems to be the way to go. Would it be safer to put everything in an immature frag system to avoid infecting my display? What would you who have battled with dinos do?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back