Disabled Newbie, exhausted and in pain.

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a very hard time because I over-exerted myself hauling buckets of waste water to and from the sink (the adapter doesn't fit my sink...). The top on my Fluval 107 failed, leaving me without a functioning filter at all (tried several times; the latches won't latch anymore), and roughly ~5 hours of water (50 GPD system, scraped up money for) down the drain because it flooded the surrounding small area. I can't be spending a lot of money because I need to save for certain other personal things (that I don't want to talk about in detail).

I'm physically disabled. I'm tired of this stupid RO/DI system because of how slow it is, and how often I have to hurt myself getting up to check it so it doesn't overflow the bucket or get too full. Is there a way to buy pre-filtered, ready to go RO/DI water from Amazon? Or anywhere? I'm only filling a 10 gallon tank. There's been a few times I could afford larger things, but otherwise I can't. But right now I'd rather just spend a little bit on some pre-made RO/DI water or something. It depends on the price. I'm exhausted. I feel awful and I want to give up before I've even started. There's no local saltwater community I can go to (and I can't drive). There's no local pet stores besides Petco. There's nobody who can lend a hand save for my brother and he's an awful person to even be around.

I'm in a lot of pain. I can't buy another even remotely reliable filter. I can't buy a proper refractometer (20+ dollars - I need to keep my money saved up), so I'm hoping my hydrometer (10 dollars) is accurate. I don't have a scale to weigh my salt. I don't have a powerhead to mix my salt. I have to sit there the whole time and churn the water, which hurt more. I don't even have a skimmer. I scraped by getting what I could. Cheap lights that were recommended here, a tank I already had, cheap dry rocks, a filter I already had, cheap freshwater versions of stuff, coupon-ing Amazon to death, etc.

I feel ashamed for even trying to start a saltwater tank. All I wanted was a clownfish pair or a goby and a shrimp. I'm in so much pain I can't leave my bed right now. I don't even think I want to look at the tank. I don't even know what to do. At least it was before I could ever put any fish in.

Please be kind with me. I'm already upset.
EDIT: And no, I don't want to hear that "this might not be the right hobby for you" nonsense. That isn't advice. I've had freshwater fish tanks of all sizes. I have chickens, turtles, have had several reptiles, and more. I can deal with daily maintenance, but the constant "getting up every 10-15 minutes to empty a bucket" is starting to hurt me badly. I'm just deeply upset by how disaster seems to strike me often. I'm not taking 'no' for an answer on making a TEN GALLON saltwater tank. I'm not making a 75, or 150, or 300, or 5000 gallon tank. Ten. Ten gallons.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef...:)
approx location ?
I'm pretty sure we can find some equipment / friends near you willing to help .
can order distilled by the gallon from walmart .

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There I am sorry to hear about all the problems you are having at the moment. As you say, the expense of all the gear plus the weight of lugging water around really are exhausting.

I am afraid to say this, in case the experts here shoot me down, but would it be possible to use your tap water, treated with Seachem Prime, to make up your water. I tried my tap water for a couple of years, and my soft corals loved it and grew like crazy. The fish thrived too.

Anyway, just a thought maybe to investigate. All the best.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef...:)
approx location ?
I'm pretty sure we can find some equipment / friends near you willing to help .
can order distilled by the gallon from walmart .
I'm in Southern Illinois, near the Carbondale-Murphysboro area.
A lot of people say not to use distilled water because it's different from RO/DI water, so I'm not sure what to do... Is not using RO/DI the end of the world?

I'm just suffering a lot because of how exhausted I am. I don't know if the people taking care of me at the moment (brother + grandma) would appreciate if anybody came around... I could have stuff shipped to me but I don't think I'd be able to meet anybody for anything.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There I am sorry to hear about all the problems you are having at the moment. As you say, the expense of all the gear plus the weight of lugging water around really are exhausting.

I am afraid to say this, in case the experts here shoot me down, but would it be possible to use your tap water, treated with Seachem Prime, to make up your water. I tried my tap water for a couple of years, and my soft corals loved it and grew like crazy. The fish thrived too.

Anyway, just a thought maybe to investigate. All the best.
My TDS is ridiculously high (885, with a meter, last time I checked). There's also about 2 ppm chloramines as well, last time I looked at a local water report.

I have a 75 gallon tank (freshwater), so I'm using what tiny bottle I have of Prime anyway. The bottles are so expensive that I barely want to use it because I can only afford those little bottles that can only treat like 200 gallons.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am also in so Illinois, very tired tonight , I will send you private message later today
have a great night.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a very hard time because I over-exerted myself hauling buckets of waste water to and from the sink (the adapter doesn't fit my sink...). The top on my Fluval 107 failed, leaving me without a functioning filter at all (tried several times; the latches won't latch anymore), and roughly ~5 hours of water (50 GPD system, scraped up money for) down the drain because it flooded the surrounding small area. I can't be spending a lot of money because I need to save for certain other personal things (that I don't want to talk about in detail).

I'm physically disabled. I'm tired of this stupid RO/DI system because of how slow it is, and how often I have to hurt myself getting up to check it so it doesn't overflow the bucket or get too full. Is there a way to buy pre-filtered, ready to go RO/DI water from Amazon? Or anywhere? I'm only filling a 10 gallon tank. There's been a few times I could afford larger things, but otherwise I can't. But right now I'd rather just spend a little bit on some pre-made RO/DI water or something. It depends on the price. I'm exhausted. I feel awful and I want to give up before I've even started. There's no local saltwater community I can go to (and I can't drive). There's no local pet stores besides Petco. There's nobody who can lend a hand save for my brother and he's an awful person to even be around.

I'm in a lot of pain. I can't buy another even remotely reliable filter. I can't buy a proper refractometer (20+ dollars - I need to keep my money saved up), so I'm hoping my hydrometer (10 dollars) is accurate. I don't have a scale to weigh my salt. I don't have a powerhead to mix my salt. I have to sit there the whole time and churn the water, which hurt more. I don't even have a skimmer. I scraped by getting what I could. Cheap lights that were recommended here, a tank I already had, cheap dry rocks, a filter I already had, cheap freshwater versions of stuff, coupon-ing Amazon to death, etc.

I feel ashamed for even trying to start a saltwater tank. All I wanted was a clownfish pair or a goby and a shrimp. I'm in so much pain I can't leave my bed right now. I don't even think I want to look at the tank. I don't even know what to do. At least it was before I could ever put any fish in.

Please be kind with me. I'm already upset.

To be blunt.

This is an expensive hobby and it doesn't sound the right fit for you.

Perhaps you should reconsider whether this is the hobby for you.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back