DIY 125 gallon long stand & canopy advice needed on interior paint/sealants

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my 125 G long stand last night and would like your opinions on how to seal the interior of the base and canopy. I usually start with silicone in the seams and several coats of Kilz. It's the next step of paint/sealant I need advice about.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my 125 G long stand last night and would like your opinions on how to seal the interior of the base and canopy. I usually start with silicone in the seams and several coats of Kilz. It's the next step of paint/sealant I need advice about.

There are any number of ways to go with what you want to accomplish. Some people use FlexSeal. Some people use paint and then poly over it. Some people use an epoxy based paint. I've even seen floor coatings (usually epoxy too) used too.

If money isn't any problem and you have a well ventilated area to work, I'd recommend using the product below. It's not cheap but it's so waterproof that people use it to seal the inside of wooden aqauriums.

As a matter of fact, @dantimdad used it to seal his frag tanks.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are any number of ways to go with what you want to accomplish. Some people use FlexSeal. Some people use paint and then poly over it. Some people use an epoxy based paint. I've even seen floor coatings (usually epoxy too) used too.

If money isn't any problem and you have a well ventilated area to work, I'd recommend using the product below. It's not cheap but it's so waterproof that people use it to seal the inside of wooden aqauriums.

As a matter of fact, @dantimdad used it to seal his frag tanks.

Just be sure it's not a high humidity environment during the cure or it slows it down considerably.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to try the white Flex Seal spray.

I do not know anyone that has used the spray but do know several that have used the liquid. They were very happy with the results.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know anyone that has used the spray but do know several that have used the liquid. They were very happy with the results.
I'm going to buy a can and if I don't like it I will switch over and brush it on. I will post pics when I am finished.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back