DIY frozen feeder - build

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know others have attempted this, and I may just be bad at searching if one has been successful, but I would like to get one built.

For starters, I work (often a lot) and prefer my fish to be fat and happy (and also feed my corals). Secondly, I have a large display (560g) and several large fish. My goal this fall is to add in my school/shoal of chromis/anthias as well as some other smaller/medium sized fish. I recognize that feeding them 3-5 times a day increases success rate of these fish and leads to long-term health. I already have a pellet feeder that I automate.

Goal would be to make a feeder that uses the frozen cube style food (possibly a DIY food mix) that feeds at least 4 times a day.

Im thinking of using a hopper style system, that has a single bucket in a belt driven system, the food drops into the single bucket in the belt and then is pulled to the return pump - drops into a pipe above the return and sucked into the display (my sump is in the basement).

I will work on sourcing some Off the shelf products for this - but any guidance is welcomed!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for reef beef over on youtube. Rich has a video of one he made. It is pretty simple using acrylic or a reactor type device. Basically you are filling it with water, food, and an air bubbler to thaw and mix. There is a pipe that exits. Water enters at a slow rate, fills up the cylinder, overflows or exits the pipe, into the display or in front of a return pump. Slow process over say 30 minutes or an hour. Easy to automate can also use coral food for broadcast feeding.

Holder, bubbler to mix, water in after X amount of time, fills up holder, exits with food. Done.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be how do you reload the device, automatically, with frozen food- without having a large amount thawed and spoiling..(?) That way it can operate for a week or 2 without attention.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be how do you reload the device, automatically, with frozen food- without having a large amount thawed and spoiling..(?) That way it can operate for a week or 2 without attention.

Manual. I can't speak for other products like mini fridge and dosing liquids. The example I mentioned above is manual. You take the food, drop it in, and go about your business. Easy to semi automate using a controller though as a feed mode.

One way to look at it is like this. I feed pellet via an auto feeder hourly from 0830 to 1830. Small feeds but every hour. At 1930 I feed frozen. Cup of tank water, drop a few cubes or pieces of LRS, let it thaw for a few minutes, then toss it in the display.

Works ok.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that works.. figure out how to make it run a week or 2 and you really got something. Imagine ther people wanting to go on vacation without tank sitter... maybe a device, like typical fridge icemaker, that spits a couple cubes out a mini fridge every few hours

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that works.. figure out how to make it run a week or 2 and you really got something. Imagine ther people wanting to go on vacation without tank sitter... maybe a device, like typical fridge icemaker, that spits a couple cubes out a mini fridge every few hours

There are a few frozen auto feeders here but I'm not sure if they are working with chunky foods vs liquid. So the bubbler example I gave is a bit different. In either case you should be able to find a few examples.

Good luck.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few frozen auto feeders here but I'm not sure if they are working with chunky foods vs liquid. So the bubbler example I gave is a bit different. In either case you should be able to find a few examples.

Good luck.
Maybe keeping the slurry between 35-40*, in fridge, would keep bacteria at bay(?). And dose that into return pump..

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a non-defrosting freezer, a bunch of cubes in an auger like device could be coaxed to dump into a mixing vessel for dispensing.

It may be simpler to just use freeze dried.

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a non-defrosting freezer, a bunch of cubes in an auger like device could be coaxed to dump into a mixing vessel for dispensing.

It may be simpler to just use freeze dried.
this is what I was thinking, generally - use the auger to push a cube forward. Drive the belt one rotation, and it drops the frozen cube into the return space.

That said, freeze dried does remove that issue.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back