DIY iron supplement help (fergon alternative-21st century iron)

luiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm from Brazil, here it's hard to find a diy alternative for an iron supplement, I've tried a lot to find this fergon tablets but I haven't been successful. I thought about using seachem flourish iron but I got concerned after seeing some reports of deaths in tangs. Finally I found this product that claims to be identical to fergon, the 21st century iron, it's iron gluconate with the same dosage 27mg per tablet but I'm afraid because of the other ingredients. I would like to know if it would be safe to use this product in the same way that fergon DIY. Thanks for the help.

Supplement FactsServing Size 1 Tablet
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Iron (as Ferrous Gluconate) 27mg150%
Other Ingredients: Dextrose, Cellulose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid. Contains <2% of: Artificial Colors (FD&C Blue #2 Carmine, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Yellow #5), Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene Glycol, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ferrous Gluconate is the active ingredient in Fergon tablets.

In fact, one tablet of your product has the same mg of one tablet of ferrous gluconate as Fergon‘s tablet.

In my opinion, I think you can use your tablets instead of Fergon, but check with @Randy Holmes-Farley first.

I personally use the generic CVS brand, which has the same ingredients as Fergon.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is likely fine. Most of that stuff will settle out on the bottom when the tablet dissolves to make a dosing solution, leaving a clear colored solution for dosing.

Upvote 0
Solution

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. :)

@luiz here’s Randy’s recipe for the iron tablet:

One Fergon tablet (ferrous gluconate) contains 27 mg of iron. Dissolve that in about 27 mL RO/DI (my recommendation, but other concentrations are OK, just don't dilute too much), the concentration is about 27 mg/27 ml ~ 1 mg/mL.

I dose ~1 mL to my tank with a volume of about 300 gallons once or twice a week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

luiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is likely fine. Most of that stuff will settle out on the bottom when the tablet dissolves to make a dosing solution, leaving a clear colored solution for dosing.
Thanks, Randy! I will prepare the solution, separate the precipitate and use the clear part of the solution. Is the solution photosensible? Is it preferable to store the solution in an amber glass or opaque container? Cause I’m going to use a peristaltic pump to make the dosage. Sorry about my bad English. Thanks for the help again!

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy! I will prepare the solution, separate the precipitate and use the clear part of the solution. Is the solution photosensible? Is it preferable to store the solution in an amber glass or opaque container? Cause I’m going to use a peristaltic pump to make the dosage. Sorry about my bad English. Thanks for the help again!

It might be sensitive to light, but I do not think so.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back