DIY Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs

oupulino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs

Hey guys I have a question about this Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs they are rumors going around that the Luxeon has better spectrum and use Lower energy consumption.
I did my diy first project with Cree XR and RB 1 CW:3 RB running them at 700mA and I like it.
Now I'm planing to do second DIY led lights but using Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs they having better spectrum.
My tank is 30" L x 18 " H x 12" W.
How many whites,blues reds and turquoise I need?
Which driver and power supply I need for 24 Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs

Any link how to do it or any DIY Luxeon ES 3 aquarium lights
Any help is appreciated,thanks

OP
OP
O

oupulino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone post same pictures with your DIY Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs light

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs

Hey guys I have a question about this Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs they are rumors going around that the Luxeon has better spectrum and use Lower energy consumption.
I did my diy first project with Cree XR and RB 1 CW:3 RB running them at 700mA and I like it.
Now I'm planing to do second DIY led lights but using Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs they having better spectrum.
I'd like to see where you read these rumors. Energy consumption is measured in Watts, so you have to calculate how many Watts you're using to figure out if you're saving energy.

These charts are from the datasheets.
The Cree XT-E
xte.png

The Cree XP-G
xpg.png

The Luxeon ES
luxeones.png

Look at 700mA, for instance, and find the voltage where the plot crosses. The voltages are practically identical (3.05V vs. 3V). If you're running at 1A, you're looking at a difference of maybe 100mV. Realistically, saving 100mW of power isn't going to show up on your electric bill.

If you dig into the datasheets, I think you'll see that the spectra aren't really that different either. That's more qualitative since different LED 'bins' are a going to vary from the datasheet, but the shapes of the "typical" radiated spectra are very similar.

OP
OP
O

oupulino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price for led emitters are very affordable ,just checking out 1.50 cheaper than Cree XPG or XTE

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so after looking at the datasheet again, Luxeons are also binned by forward voltage characteristics. So you could use less power, but I still wouldn't call it substantial. What's cool is that you might be able to add one or two more LEDs to your driver, so you could run a string of 12 crees vs 14 luxeons as long as you stay under the max power output of your driver.

Those prices are pretty tempting. I'd give them a whirl if I didn't just get a delivery from ReefLEDLights last week. nice find!

OP
OP
O

oupulino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they always gonna get us lol the price is $ 2.99 per one Luxeon ES on a star but you have to have Switching Power Supply size depends on the number leds you are runing and on top of that you need Digital LED drivers to run this Luxeon ES
I'm wondering if I can run them using Meanwell or Inventronics.
Does anyone know if that's possible.I can not find much info about this set up

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back