DIY Mr Aqua

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the hobby for years I have had to learn how to build most of the equipment I need to run Marine Reef's. When I started there where no Protein Skimmers had to learn how to make one. There where no reactors for media had to make my own. There where no alternating power head controllers I made my own. By trade I am an industrial Maintenance man I have been in the field for 40 years now. This has allowed me to take a lot of idea's that I do in processing of
food production and use it with my tanks.
After moving in to a Patio Home I wanted setup back up my 90 gallon cube that I had used for years. Well the movers cracked the tank during moving so I had to start over from scratch. I have given away a lot of my equipment during the move to friends as I would not be having a basement to house the 25 tanks and 300 gallon sump I had in the old house. Down sizing its called.:) So I am starting up a small system to house the little fish and enjoy them in my living room. I went with a 25 gallon Mr. Aqua tank. The tank is very well made low iron tank and I did not like most of what was available in that size in town or online. AIO tanks just make you hit walls with their small back chambers and I like a sump much better.
So I went about purchasing equipment for the tank I have a Tunze skimmer I have had for years hope it still works. So I purchased another one a 9002.
Purchased my lighting a couple of A150 Kessil lights bought and extra for a QT system. Bought glass hole overflow and return very nice kits come with very thing you need to drill the tank. I have been on a 12 hr schedule here at work so this is a slow build which is fine as it lets me think out each area of the build and weight all the options. Also being in the living room it makes me do a very clean and high end look as the wife factor is involved.:)

So the first step I did was work up a stand. Now I really like the clean stands used in Europe for tanks you don't see a lot of 2x4 built stands and having made , many stands using 2x4's I wanted to try something different. I have also welded up many a stand, helps to have worked with steel for years on the job.
In europe them use system called Porsa for Aquarium stands that I liked. Porsa Aquarium tables/
But when I went to see if they where distributed here in the US I found that there is not a US distributor. Well at least in for the Aquarium trade.
Now being in the Maintenance field we use a lot of different suppliers and you see a lot of equipment in catalog's that the average person doesn't ever see.
So I found 80/20 8020 Quick-Frame We have used this system to make tables and equipment stand before. An I had two extra pieces of 1 inch square tubing that I could right here in the shop.
So here is the stand build.
Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%209%2046%2019%20AM.jpg

connectors
Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%2010%2006%2047%20AM.jpg

This is the inside of the tubing with the ridges for grabbing the connector.

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%2010%2029%2002%20AM.jpg

Cutting the pieces on the band saw Chuck a co worker helped me on this job.
Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%2011%2028%2024%20AM.jpg

Here are all pieces of the build.

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80/20 has been around for years. An quickframe has been used in Europe for years for aquarium stands. It's just not sold for that purpose here in the states.

ChouDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you already have one in works but you need a flat, smooth, level surface on top of stand. Rimless tanks have no frame and must have the entire bottom pane supported.

That 80/20 is sweet, must be nice to just be able to cut to length then hammer together. Also allows for much more room inside the stand than a traditional 2x4 stand.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back