DIY Sump question

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I build a 40G Breeder Sump.
The baffles are clear acrylic order from Melev's Reef. Yesterday plumbed the tank and sump.
From left to right the following: Simplicity 120DC skimmer, center Simplicity 1600DC return pump, and the last chamber refugium. All is working well, no leaks in the plumbing.
However, my concern is too much water movement in the center where the return pump is located. I've had so many sump, and don't know the cause for this water movement. Hoping anyone have any thoughts. Here are pictures
25b27ab7cac2ab5e1c749131f420c363.jpg
e5bbaac0a63881ed43d3351913e46d5f.jpg
e02a0097414c7f0e8d8d5f43e7a6595a.jpg
70584bc1e86c8de4e3e474969f493c42.jpg
5f016d0d102805e957bbd853cf32fe57.jpg
e4b9e2c4a8f84cb87fb48cc0feccd5eb.jpg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the water that is flowing from the two other chambers?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not skimmer, fuge, then return pump?

I see water from tank far left with skimmer, good

I see return in middle section back up to tank

What is tubing/pipe that goes from skimmer to fuge?

What did you use to attach acrylic to glass?

I see no bubbles in skimmer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally, I setup my sump: skimmer>refugium>return pump because my DT's have 2 drains and to 2 returns.

My current tank had 2 drains and 1 return.
The black hose>pvc>T>ball valve> is the 2 drain. Drain #1 75% water going into the skimmer section. Drain #2 25% water going into the refugium section.

Finally it was my preference to use acrylic on glass.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I think

What’s the ball valve for?

What did you use to connect acrylic to glass?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, not good.
Silicone for glass to glass, good.
Silicone for glass to acrylic, bad.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more water movement in the center where the return is located. By raising the skimmer, it eliminated the wave movement in the center. Less noisy now. We are all good now.

Note: I have build several DIY sump in the past 15 years using glass and acrylic baffles. It's a preference. No differences in performance and never had an issue. In fact the acrylic baffles last longer then the tank....lol

Using Aquarium silicone from the pet store and using DAP aquarium silicone. The difference the tube at Petco $11 and home depot $6 cheaper. I'm about saving money.
5f35d9db9350bf77787b8a7a6be818b1.jpg
6be178a0779dd5a39a65f3c472784689.jpg

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it’s all about the money then buy this, which is good for acrylic to glass, and $4.78 at Lowe’s
Firstly I did not ask you advice on where to buy baffles. If you had read my thread! I was asking advice on the high movement of water in the middle section.

Your reply was, that you "think"is the water coming from both drains. No further evaluation. Then you got off the topic, asking why I used acrylic on glass? What glue I used? Nothing pertaining to my thread. Stick to what is the thread about. If no further advice to my concern, appreciate you move with your negativity.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I did not ask you advice on where to buy baffles. If you had read my thread! I was asking advice on the high movement of water in the middle section.

Your reply was, that you "think"is the water coming from both drains. No further evaluation. Then you got off the topic, asking why I used acrylic on glass? What glue I used? Nothing pertaining to my thread. Stick to what is the thread about. If no further advice to my concern, appreciate you move with your negativity.

One of the things that makes this site great is the sharing of knowledge. Didn’t want anyone who stumbled onto your “why do I have flow” thread, coming away with thinking silicone, unless specifically designed for acrylic, should be used for acrylic. Because it shouldn’t. But thanks for your kind words

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things that makes this site great is the sharing of knowledge. Didn’t want anyone who stumbled onto your “why do I have flow” thread, coming away with thinking silicone, unless specifically designed for acrylic, should be used for acrylic. Because it shouldn’t. But thanks for your kind words

I've made half a dozen for my own use, and have sold countless others installing acrylic baffles in glass tanks. True they don't have good shearing strength, but when installed in a tank like this with silicone on both sides with a good bead, the seal will last longer than you will have the sump. I am looking at one right now in my living room that has been running continuously for 5 years, and I would bet you $1,000 that if I tried to rip them out, it would snap the acrylic panel before the silicone let go. I have used momentive and regular GE silicone from Lowes. It all works fine.

Have you had any personal experience with acrylic baffles failing inside a glass sump?

Also, to my knowledge, they don't make a silicone specifically designed to secure acrylic, or any other plastic to glass. Typically PVC bottoms are secured to glass side walls using a UV curable epoxy.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made half a dozen for my own use, and have sold countless others installing acrylic baffles in glass tanks. True they don't have good shearing strength, but when installed in a tank like this with silicone on both sides with a good bead, the seal will last longer than you will have the sump. I am looking at one right now in my living room that has been running continuously for 5 years, and I would bet you $1,000 that if I tried to rip them out, it would snap the acrylic panel before the silicone let go. I have used momentive and regular GE silicone from Lowes. It all works fine.

Have you had any personal experience with acrylic baffles failing inside a glass sump?

Also, to my knowledge, they don't make a silicone specifically designed to secure acrylic, or any other plastic to glass. Typically PVC bottoms are secured to glass side walls using a UV curable epoxy.
Why you would defend using silicone for acrylic is beyond me.
GE makes a silicone, in red tube, that is made for use with acrylic. You now shouldn’t be “not aware” of that, and that other type silicone shouldn’t be used on acrylic . There are other products that can and should be used for acrylic, that are at the same pricepoint and just as easy to use, and it doesn’t have to be uv curable epoxy. Lowe’s, Homecheapo, whatever

Siliconing both side of a 2 or three pane bubble trap, that’r so close together is a neat trick!

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the silicone you are talking about. I thought you mean't a product to structurally adhere PMMA or any other plastic to glass. That one you mentioned will do the same as most other 100% silicone products will do. It will sandwich baffles between two beads on a glass panel. Again, I wouldn't butt silicone a piece of acrylic to glass like you were building a tank, but for his application above, the stuff works great. People have been securing overflows onto glass tanks for decades using standard silicone. I myself have a corner acrylic overflow on a 120 that I glued in using GE I when I was in high school and I am now 36. I couldn't pull that thing off the tank if I tried.

As far as the 3 baffle setup. Our newer design only uses two baffles. We also include some little braces that are secured vertically to the tank on the side of the baffle where the water pressure pushes against them.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I've been in the hobby since 2006. My first was a 20L DIY with acrylic baffles and last me for years. And the same had glass baffles on glass tank no issue as well. I've also owned custom made acrylic sump. Sold
Now I chose a DIY, for a clownfish breeding system. No need to get fancy, just something practical. The money I'll spend on nice breeding clownfish. Anyway, as I said I solved my water movement issue. Thanks for your input.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back