Do I have to dose tank for it to be successful???

CameronA29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a must to dose a tank for it to be successful, I feel like every time I try to do research on the dosing I just realize it’s way over my head. However I want to do it right…Input???

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing is for certain parameters that need adjusting to stay in correct parameters . Like alk , cal , mag which are critical to keep steady and within acceptable parameters for the health of your coral . Dosing can also be use for other things like nutrients. But to answer your question yes you do need to dose if water changes are no longer enough to keep alk,cal, and mag and correct levels to sustain your corals needs

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a must to dose a tank for it to be successful, I feel like every time I try to do research on the dosing I just realize it’s way over my head. However I want to do it right…Input???
If you plan on keeping corals it’s vital to dose. Your parameters will deplete without dosing corals will die and that’s just a possible start to your problems. Do a Google search “ Red Sea programme “ and have a look it will tell you based on what sort of setup you run roughly what to dose based on coral types etc.

I just test and dose to the appropriate levels.

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on the other side.

No, it isn't Required to dose. A softy only tank can sustain on water changes alone so long as Coraline is kept in check.

If dosing individually scares you, take a look at all for Reef. It's really simple and one product.
I agree with you too. Although once learning how to dose it’s extremely easy and means more of the hobby opens up :D

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it entirely depends on your situation.

I have one tank that I don't do any dosing on, it's an entirely softy tank and everything is handled through the auto-waterchanges throughout the week.

Once you start adding sps and more demanding consumers, water changes alone might not be able to keep up.

I second all-for-reef, it's a great product to simplify things.

View Badges
LPS no,sps yes ,with LPs water change will do just fine ,with sps it need to be more stable so dosing does that.And if you can keep alk at 7 with sps with water changes don't have to dose ,people dose to get them corals to grow faster same with high ph. You can start dosing get the corals at the size you want then just bring down all parameters and just keep them alive looking nice.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question: For a completely noob reefer, how do you even get into dosing? More than anything, dosing is the most intimating aspect of reefing.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on tank size and what coral you have. Sps require dosing the most, as they consume a lot of alkalinity and calcium. Next is lps, then softies the least.
If you have a small enough tank that you can do weekly 20% water changes, then no dosing would be required in most cases, but sps may still require it. Testing will vary depending on your coral types too.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question: For a completely noob reefer, how do you even get into dosing? More than anything, dosing is the most intimating aspect of reefing.
For alk, You take alk readings at the same time of day, for a few days ( 3 minimum) to get your average consumption. Then you use the given resources or calculator to decide how much to dose. This can be manually, or automated by a dosing head.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on tank size and what coral you have. Sps require dosing the most, as they consume a lot of alkalinity and calcium. Next is lps, then softies the least.
If you have a small enough tank that you can do weekly 20% water changes, then no dosing would be required in most cases, but sps may still require it. Testing will vary depending on your coral types too.
I’m gearing up for a 25g AIO with softies and LPS. Hoping the water changes cover most of the replenishment needs.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gearing up for a 25g AIO with softies and LPS. Hoping the water changes cover most of the replenishment needs.
I think you will be okay with weekly to every other week 20% water changes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind if you try to use water changes as the primary source of replacing things like (bi)carbonates and calcium, you could end up needing to dose nitrate or phosphate as a result of having too "clean" water

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind if you try to use water changes as the primary source of replacing things like (bi)carbonates and calcium, you could end up needing to dose nitrate or phosphate as a result of having too "clean" water
Was planning on avoiding a skimmer for just this reason unless it proves absolutely necessary.

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on avoiding a skimmer for just this reason unless it proves absolutely necessary.
I have a 45g and there's no skimmer on it. I regularly struggle to keep nutrients up even still (i do have refugium tho).

In terms of dosing, well you don't need to dose until you do - you have to be in tune with what you have and their needs (ie regular testing). If you keep a light load and low-maintenance corals; then probably not. If your coral start struggling and seemingly consuming some nutrient faster (eg ALK) then you need to start supplementing.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45g and there's no skimmer on it. I regularly struggle to keep nutrients up even still (i do have refugium tho).

In terms of dosing, well you don't need to dose until you do - you have to be in tune with what you have and their needs (ie regular testing). If you keep a light load and low-maintenance corals; then probably not. If your coral start struggling and seemingly consuming some nutrient faster (eg ALK) then you need to start supplementing.
Pack a couple tangs and triggers in there. Low nutrient issues go POOF, Gone.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is no. Definitely not a must.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on the other side.

No, it isn't Required to dose. A softy only tank can sustain on water changes alone so long as Coraline is kept in check.

If dosing individually scares you, take a look at all for Reef. It's really simple and one product.
An LPS heavy tank can also "sustain", even thrive, with no dosing with regular water changes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back