Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CB4AF98-BC28-443F-9EF2-B9EDF6128F3F.jpeg
7934CB56-6EB0-40FF-8611-F55B0D68CABD.jpeg
48E979B9-452E-4B92-9344-381C2362A985.jpeg

So obviously my return is low on the overflow wall, I have my reasons, and I don’t remember if my sump can hold the DT volume if it back siphoned. Sooo I’ve discovered a new approach and I’m quite honestly amazed it all fit, roughly, this is not the final product I swear.

What are your thoughts? I don’t know how a typical siphon break is set up, but my idea is drill a hole in the top of the pvc, plug a small hose in there and direct the other end back into the overflow, correct?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to drill a small hole right below your water line, just a hole no hose..

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is going to squirt out of the hole so to the side would be best.. just needs to be under your water line, when pump is shut down water will back syphon until it reaches hole then it will suck in air until syphon breaks

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put the siphon hole on bottom bc after draining water and the return pump is turned back on, the water will come through the siphon hole at higher pressure due to the small hole. If it's on the side, it'll splash against the glass and may cause mess vs splashing straight down back into the water.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put the siphon hole on bottom bc after draining water and the return pump is turned back on, the water will come through the siphon hole at higher pressure due to the small hole. If it's on the side, it'll splash against the glass and may cause mess vs splashing straight down back into the water.
Trouble is if you put it on the bottom the syphon would of been broken anyway by the nozzle letting air in... on mine I drill a hole in the side of mine then fit a short length of tube and position it as high as possible without the water jet splashing, a cable tie holds it in place.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also modify this and install a Melev's reverse check valve. You can see how this works in this video:

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is a Herbie style drain and you anticipate a full siphon on your low drain? If not your drain will be very noisy the way you have it currently setup.

Curious, what is the point of that whole goose neck contraption on your return line? Is that just to get a siphon break hole near the water level? For what it is worth I have used John Guess fittings and did a simple drill/tap in the horizontal pipe, then attach whatever length 1/4" tubing needed to get the height you want, put a 90 on the end to turn it sideways. This way you can quickly remove it all to clean periodically to ensure you don't flood your sump.

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is a Herbie style drain and you anticipate a full siphon on your low drain? If not your drain will be very noisy the way you have it currently setup.

Curious, what is the point of that whole goose neck contraption on your return line? Is that just to get a siphon break hole near the water level? For what it is worth I have used John Guess fittings and did a simple drill/tap in the horizontal pipe, then attach whatever length 1/4" tubing needed to get the height you want, put a 90 on the end to turn it sideways. This way you can quickly remove it all to clean periodically to ensure you don't flood your sump.
The idea is my return outlet is well below the water line. I have the overflow wall setup up very tight to maximize as much DT space as possible. So, with limited room back there I came up with the idea of using multiple 90 fittings to the return height equal to the tank water level. if that all makes sense.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change that return plumbing. You want to have as little restriction as possible and all those 90°s will hurt the return flow.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back