Do I need to seed more pods?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @AlgaeBarn. I seeded my 200 gallon aquarium with 22,000+ 5280 pods on 9/1. Followed the feeding schedule. I am now feeding around 7.4 oz every other day.

Is there any way to tell if I have enough pods? Do I need to add another 22,000+ 5280 pods?

Since the seeding, I have added the following:

• 2 purple Firefish, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Banggai Cardinal, and 1 Scooter Blenny.
  • Birdsnest, Rhodactis Mushroom, Armor of God, Julian Sprung Pink Grube Gorgonian, Flower Pot, & Bicolor Hammer Coral

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is no way to say exactly how many you have in your tank, at one point you maybe have over 50,000 and at an other you can only have 500, I like to check my population by putting a light againt the glass at night and search for movement Nothing in your tank really relies on your pods as a staple diet so predation isn't an issue really

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @AlgaeBarn. I seeded my 200 gallon aquarium with 22,000+ 5280 pods on 9/1. Followed the feeding schedule. I am now feeding around 7.4 oz every other day.

Is there any way to tell if I have enough pods? Do I need to add another 22,000+ 5280 pods?

• 2 purple Firefish, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Banggai Cardinal, and 1 Scooter Blenny.
  • Birdsnest, Rhodactis Mushroom, Armor of God, Julian Sprung Pink Grube Gorgonian, Flower Pot, & Bicolor Hammer Coral

Hi there,

Copepods lay eggs every two weeks on average and newly hatched copepods take about 2 weeks to become visible to the naked eye. Usually people start to see a population increase around one month after dosing assuming enough food has been consistently available for them and their environment has been kept relatively stable during this time. I am not sure how long ago you added these pods but usually we suggest just giving it a little more time to let them do their thing. The fish you added will consume some pods but you have a large tank so they should not be able to predate all of them. Most likely you have tons of pods hiding in the rocks, etc away from the fish and this is the reason they are not visible. If you added any pods to your refugium it may be easier to see them there as they tend to be our more when predators are not present. Copepods tend to shy away from bright white light and love to come out at night so we suggest taking a blue or red light and looking around at night. If you let some algae build up on the glass they tend to appear in those areas because they want to eat the algae. In a 200gallon tank 22,000+ pods will be fairly spread out so it might take them a little longer to find each other and begin reproducing to the point where you would see "lots of pods" on the glass etc. If you added more pods, the chances of pods coming in contact with other pods and making pod babies will go up and population growth may happen more quickly, however if your pods were alive on arrival and you added them to the tank correctly and you keep up with the phyto dosing you should be able to get a population established without needing to by more. I would suggest giving it some more time before making a decision. You can always contact us directly with questions at 772-444-7637 or [email protected]. We are always happy to help. Thank you!

Lan

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a fuge they will surely multiply away from feeding mouths. I’d say you have enough either way.

Good idea to add some every year or so so you introduce new dna and they don’t stop being able to reproduce

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used the 5280 pods a couple weeks ago, and have not seen any pods at all at night. I followed the instructions for the pods and phyto precisely as listed on the bags. Not a single pod anywhere, nothing on the rock, substrate, or glass.

I did see a few tiny pods in the bags before putting into the tank, but nothing close to the picture on their web site. I figured that just how they look, as I’m a first time customer, and didn’t know any better.

I contacted AlgaeBarn customer service a couple of times to note my concern, and they just said to keep waiting. I don’t agree. I should have seen at least something by now. But nothing is present anywhere.

Pure frustration, zero pods.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ReefKeeperElite please contact us and we will take care of you as we do for everyone. Copepods lay eggs every two weeks and it takes those eggs two weeks after hatching to become visible to the naked eye. So just let us know if you arent happy for any reason and we will make it right, thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back