Do I need to turn off gfo/carbon reactor when dosing anything?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just recently started running a reactor with carbon and gfo. Do I need to turn it off when dosing anything?
My dosing consists of 2 part, Red Sea AB+ and microbacter7. Not everything every day but you get the idea. Thanks!!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a word: Yes.
Why? Because 1) your carbon will filter out your additives and 2) your carbon will get clogged/used up faster on the stuff you want to keep in your tank instead of the stuff you don't.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a word: Yes.
Why? Because 1) your carbon will filter out your additives and 2) your carbon will get clogged/used up faster on the stuff you want to keep in your tank instead of the stuff you don't.
Even 2 part? I currently dose manually. Eventually I would like to set up some dosers. How does that work if you’re running a reactor?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when turning off anything holding water. I've had water "turn" on me when left stagnant too long.
The smell was the tell.
What are you talking about??? If you have stagnant water, then something is wrong.
This person has a Carbon reactor, which means a pump is pushing water through it consistently. Turning it off for 15 minutes so they can dump in their additives isn't going to cause a single issue.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have to remove the carbon.
Your post #2 above contradicts your last statement.
What are you on?
You turn off your filtration (carbon, UV and/or skimmer) when dosing most anything. Heck, most additives or bacteria supplements that you add to your tank state that on the bottle/packaging. It allows the additives a chance to be absorbed by the corals, or rocks, etc. Then you turn your filtration back on.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you on?
You turn off your filtration (carbon, UV and/or skimmer) when dosing most anything. Heck, most additives or bacteria supplements that you add to your tank state that on the bottle/packaging. It allows the additives a chance to be absorbed by the corals, or rocks, etc. Then you turn your filtration back on.
Yeah I’ve been turning off my skimmer for 30 min when I dose ab+ and once a week I dose microbacter7 so I turn it off for 4 hours. I wasn’t sure on the reactor.

Back