Do you even need RODI water or advanced RODI filters? Can ICP testing help you decide? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another really good BRS investigates. Not exactly sure what all to take home from it, but still very informative.

One thing that was not addressed is the possible variation in treated water. My TDS in varies from the low 300's to well over 400 (awful city water). I'm sure that the deviation is primarily chloromides, but I'm not confident that an ICP test taken at a different time would produce similar results. Just a thought.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tab water, drinking water, still may contain a lot of nitrogen, phosphorus, silica, etc.. In EU 50ppm nitrate is admitted. My tap water has <1ppm nitrate and < 0.1 ppm phosphate. My tap water is analyzed several times daily by the local tap water supplier, results are published regularly on the website of the supplier. More detailed test reports can be obtained just by asking.
How tap water is chlorinated? It may not be removed by aeration!
In some countries, silver peroxide is used to eliminate the use of chlorine.
To set up a new aquarium a lot of nutrients, building materials and minerals are needed. They are retrieved from the water and must be added. Will the tap water content make any difference?
Pieces of real "live rock" and or real "live sand" are added to bring in diversity. Will the tapwater content make the difference?
What food is supplied? Protein content, quantity, quality? Will the tapwater content make a difference?
For water changes? For correcting evaporation?
There are a lot of different biopolymers available for removing heavy metals and micro-pollutants, also used in drinking water plants.
Are an advanced ( expensive?) RODI filter needed?
Is RODI water needed to set up an aquarium? Sometimes, maybe, but I would not drink that tap water.
Demineralized water is used by professional window cleaners and delivered in bulk. It is not expensive. How much one has to pay for 1000l demi water?
Do I need to test my tap water? Do I trust my supplier, the test results he publishes? To be honest, when testing aquarium water, I may also test the tap water for the main nutrients from time to time and compare the outcome with the by the water company published results.
I prefer demi-water to replace evaporation.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am astonished. It goes 1000 ppb in 1 ppm.
That means 0.02 ppm is 20 ppb but Ryan says 2 ppb.
And the same miscalculation in the whole movie.
What is correct? Is it Ryans 2 ppb or is it the 0.02 ppm in the graphics?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am astonished. It goes 1000 ppb in 1 ppm.
That means 0.02 ppm is 20 ppb but Ryan says 2 ppb.
And the same miscalculation in the whole movie.
What is correct? Is it Ryans 2 ppb or is it the 0.02 ppm in the graphics?

Good catch there. :) I did misspeak on those ppb readings.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back