Do you guys dose strontium, iron, potassium , iodine, etc?

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a guy that works at my LFS told me dosing strontium, iron, potassium , and iodine was vital to coral coloration among other things. I was wondering do you guys dose this stuff or does it get replinished via WC's or two part solutions.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that his claim may be totally true...that being said, your regular water changes will include this stuff. If he says that you need to dose this stuff and water changes aren't enough, it's because he wants to sell you product ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never dose any of those.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose them all except potassium...now I don't and my tank looks the same if not better.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose any of the above.

I'd agree he's probably trying to sell you supplements as well as some expensive tests. Hoping they're not telling you to dose without testing!

ScubaJay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been very good about dosing, but I've also never liked doing water changes. However, when dosing Alk I have seen noticeable growth in my SPS, and when dosing iodide most all my soft corals have nicer color and grow. Just my 2 cents.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose MB7, strontium on occasion, Iodide (not iodine, pretty sure iodine can be toxic if dosed). I see results from dosing all of those, but have never tried iron or potassium.

As to if you need them, yes, absolutely. Do you need to DOSE them? Highly depends on your tank, how often you WC, what sort of salt-mix you use, etc etc.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose mb7, vodka,iodine, potassium, strotium,daily and coral amino weekly...

what iodine do you use? I had heard that dosing iodine is bad as the iodine breaks done releasing an ion that is harmful. I did a large iodine dose and burned my tank pretty bad, that's when I found out that information from a fellow hobbyist. If not true, I could switch to using pharmacy iodine maybe and save some money.

What results do you see from potassium? I know people dose it for their SPS (right?) but not sure what purpose it has.

Sorry to hijack thread, but thanks for any info!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what iodine do you use? I had heard that dosing iodine is bad as the iodine breaks done releasing an ion that is harmful. I did a large iodine dose and burned my tank pretty bad, that's when I found out that information from a fellow hobbyist. If not true, I could switch to using pharmacy iodine maybe and save some money.

What results do you see from potassium? I know people dose it for their SPS (right?) but not sure what purpose it has.

Sorry to hijack thread, but thanks for any info!
I use lugols from brightwells... A drop a day keeps the blues nice and sweet...;)
I dose k "potassium" because it brings yellows out and helps when running a ulns like myself.... Untill recently:( ingot a bad Dino outbreak that is really ticking me off.... Stupid carbon dosing lol...

Tenacious716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until they make [accurate] test kits to monitor dosing of those trace elements, I'll stick to relying on WC's.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back