Do you need an algae bed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but do you really need an algae bed to do the triton method? It says it's a vital part of the method, but I honestly don't have any room for one, and it seems like its just for controlling nitrate, and unwanted compounds.

Thanks.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dss190. Great question. To run the complete Triton Method you do need an algae bed/filter. Now does that mean that you can't have great results incorporating some of the triton ideas and products on an existing algae-bed free tank? No it doesn't. An algae filter will help utilize many of the available nutrients that would otherwise accumulate or provide nourishment for unwanted algae in the display tank. Not having this natural filter means that the aquarist would typically have to rely on other methods of nutrient export. These methods, although proven to work well, can lead to instability and introduce variables in the system that a natural algae filter would not. Things such as bio pellets, carbon dosing, deep sand beds, water changes, and chemical additives have all proven successful in removing or keeping nutrient levels in check but all have some potential drawbacks. Using algae as a filter is a natural approach to reef keeping and one that has proven to work so therefore it is the preferred method chosen through years of trial and error by Triton folks.
To run a triton system without an algae filter: I would suggest that you use the Base Elementz which will help to stabilize your chemical environment. Make sure you use a good protein skimmer 24/7.
For phosphate control alternate between good po4 media such as Al99 and Rowa for phosphate control. Alternating between an aluminum product and an iron product will help to control buildup over time of both aluminum and iron into the water.
For nitrates and organics- you can perform very small water changes like Randy Holmes does. Doing a 1 or 2% water change every day will prevent shocking of the system. If you can set a doser to drip water in and water out to perform this change that would be the best.

With all water parameters focusing on the swings in concentration is just as if not more important than the actual number itself. It is better to maintain a po4 level at .15 consistently than to swing between 0.00 and .15
The goal of Triton is to achieve the best chemical and environmental stability possible in order to best replicate the natural seawater environment. This is best achieved by minimizing variables. How one gets to this goal should not be the focus but merely the method.

OP
OP
dss190

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much for the information. Do you think I would really need to do a 1 or 2 % water change everyday? My nitrates are undetectable, or at least at 0ppm every time I test them, and I use carbon for organics.

Thank you.

Back