Do you need phytoplankton to grow pods

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a descent size chaeto growing in my sump. I bought the algae barn pod and phyo combo. Is phyto something I need to keep buying monthly to try to keep a descent population of copepods? Thanks, Rich

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a descent size chaeto growing in my sump. I bought the algae barn pod and phyo combo. Is phyto something I need to keep buying monthly to try to keep a descent population of copepods? Thanks, Rich
If on a budget, if me then buy on Internet chlorella cracked cell wall powder 1 lb(less is fine), boil it, let cool add 1/4 amount of raw egg, blend/mix raw egg first, add to algae . Add a little to pods, need to go on net and find out how to feed pods, if you need to. And watch them breed like rabits.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chaetomorpha should be enough, but some people dose phyto, I dont, but I have quite a bit of rock and large chaetomorpha ball around 5 gallons worth. Plenty of pods.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they will not be able to live on chaeto when I run out of phyto? nvm just read above post

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So they will not be able to live on chaeto when I run out of phyto? nvm just read above post

They will live ontop of the chaeto, but they will not be able to eat the chaeto for food. They will eat the biofilm that grows on sea lettuce, but I wouldn't consider it a well rounded diet. Overall, live phytoplankton is the safest bet when adding to your tank to help increase the copepod population.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used phyto or added pods and all my tanks have been loaded with them. They will survive and thrive on detritus and left over food, microalgae. If you're worried about it, add some reef roids or similar powder coral food, my pods go nuts after feeding that stuff.

OCReeferr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used phyto or added pods and all my tanks have been loaded with them. They will survive and thrive on detritus and left over food, microalgae. If you're worried about it, add some reef roids or similar powder coral food, my pods go nuts after feeding that stuff.

I’ll have to try that reef roids tip. I’ve never heard that before. [emoji851] thanks.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with 20 lbs of TBS rock and nothing else, waiting to go in my new tank. To keep everything on the rock alive I feed roids once or twice a week. When you turn the lights on in this tank, you can hardly see into the tank there's so many pods on the glass. 5/6 varieties and lots of other life. Works well for me.
I’ll have to try that reef roids tip. I’ve never heard that before. [emoji851] thanks.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's probably most important to use the same "food" type used by the source of your copepods at least in the beginning so that the copepods don't have trouble "finding" their food in the new environment that is your tank. After the first few lifecycles (months or less), the newly born copepods are probably more adapted to your tanks environment and can "survive" without the same foods their parents were raised on.

This is just my assumption...

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's probably most important to use the same "food" type used by the source of your copepods at least in the beginning so that the copepods don't have trouble "finding" their food in the new environment that is your tank. After the first few lifecycles (months or less), the newly born copepods are probably more adapted to your tanks environment and can "survive" without the same foods their parents were raised on.

This is just my assumption...

Depends on the quality of nutrition in your tank. A lot of copepods require certain nutrients to allow them to successfully have "good yields" but these nutrients can be passed down from mother to nauplii. A lot of copepods will have a limited number of reproduction cycles before they can no longer produce strong nauplii and will only produce dud eggs if they do not get the proper nutrition (like those found in our live OceanMagik Phytoplankton)

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality of nutrition in your tank. A lot of copepods require certain nutrients to allow them to successfully have "good yields" but these nutrients can be passed down from mother to nauplii. A lot of copepods will have a limited number of reproduction cycles before they can no longer produce strong nauplii and will only produce dud eggs if they do not get the proper nutrition (like those found in our live OceanMagik Phytoplankton)

Is there an advantage to using live phyto versus non-live phyto?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back