Do you think zoas/palys lose the will to live?

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe that title is a little bit dramatic, but over the years I have noticed that if a paly/zoa colony runs out of space to grow, it becomes more susceptable to closing up and melting. Almost as if the colony has lost its will to live, and simply dies off.

I have had colonies thrive for years in my tankes fill rocks, or even colonies that I have had for months fill plugs, and when they reach a "critical mass" for lack of a better term, meaning they fill up the plug they are on, or the rock they are on they no longer grow and eventually end up dieing despite thriving when space was not an issue.

I was wondering if other people have seen this issue with their colonies as well.

Obviously, a way to prevent this would be to frag the colonies, but that of course fragging has its own risks as well and can also kill a colony. Personally I am terrible zoa/paly fragger and tend to shy away from fragging my colonies.

A recent example of this for me was my ultimate chaos colony. I started with one poly which in matter of 6 months filled the plug and was doing amazing, once the plug was filled I didnt frag it and the colony just began to melt away. I have seen this in much larger colonies as well in the past.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, trapped detritus on the base of the colony is never a good thing

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats why baby brittle stars love them so much....its a nice place to grow up...use a turkey baster and keep em clean

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back