Does Anemone only tanks need Alkalinity and Calcium dosing?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a few tanks and one in particular is an anemone only tank with clownfish and a few mushroom corals. It's been established for 14 months and currently receives little to no water changes. I did a bunch while the tank was having nuisance algae problems but have stopped since its eradication.
On my larger mixed reef tanks I utilize a doser with ESV 2-part to keep Alk and Ca stable but this anemone themed tank is just a 65g AIO tank so I was keeping the Alk adjusted with Seachem Reef Builder and Ca with Seachem Reef Complete. Over time the tank depletes a steady daily amount of 1/4 tsp of Reef Builder and 2ml of Reef Complete for a value of 8.1 DKH & 420 PPM.
So...... my question is: Do I need to daily dose these 2 components for the anemones?
I'm gathering that the draw is from the coralline algae and maybe a little from CUC inverts. Part of setting up this type of tank was the desire to eliminate or at least cut back on dosing. I also have another 24g cube that is Zoanthid themed and have not needed to regularly dose that tank though that tank exhibits far less coralline algae.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep alk in a suitable range to help keep ph stable. Calcium is not used in large numbers by the anemone. I would just keep the levels at a decent level for coralline

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maintain them. If the coralline drive values down too much, the anemone may not like it, especially alk.

But you will need a lot less dosing if you keep alk in the 6.5-7 dKH range, which is perfectly fine for an anemone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back