does anyone dose amino acids? story behind

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering if anyone doses amino acids and how effective it really is for the price or if there is anything cheaper.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose aminos, I like the product called Fuel by Seachem. You can't get it on line from what I understand. It is a special product line for LFSs by Seachem......I am not sure of it's effect as I have only been doing it for about 2 months....I have used others as well but the Fuel is a bit cheaper for the amount you get 16oz for like $12....

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how effective it really is for the price or if there is anything cheaper.
Why do you think you need to dose Amino Acids?

Many people get obsessed with dosing AA's and the like, when they don't even have a stable, and/or LNS (Low Nutrient System). This just leads to more and more problems. AA's are great, and crucial, when applied correctly. Once your system has driven down the nutrients, and your corals start to pale, you have two options, feed more (potentially add more fish) or dose AA's. They're doing the same thing... AA's provide very little that lots of fish food (and poo) do not, and IMO the things lacking in food/poo are negligible. Personally I rather have more fish and feed more often (I LOVE feeding :D), but there's a million ways to skin a cat, and sometimes ULNS are so efficient that AAs must be used to an extent, even with heavy feedings.

kozmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stunreefer, fish poo is best. But for someone without fish and a tru uln systesm it makes sense to add a quality AA. Whats quality? Who really knows. I have dosed AA's for many years and use them sparingly.

Keith

slimy fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use fuel by Seachem. It has worked great for my corals. Increased coral growth.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Amino Acids In conjunction with Vodka dosing Aggressive Skimming and replacing lost trace elements along with heavy feedings of a large fish population. May get you good results, But just dosing AA I think Is adding excess nutrients that may have negative effects your not looking for JMO I also use AA but only in small doses, Targeted at specific corals then they spread throughout the tank to benefit all coral. I do agree that heavy feeding of your fish will get you the same results, fish poo Is the best coral food and mother nature has proven It...
Poolkeeper1

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think you need to dose Amino Acids?

Many people get obsessed with dosing AA's and the like, when they don't even have a stable, and/or LNS (Low Nutrient System). This just leads to more and more problems. AA's are great, and crucial, when applied correctly. Once your system has driven down the nutrients, and your corals start to pale, you have two options, feed more (potentially add more fish) or dose AA's. They're doing the same thing... AA's provide very little that lots of fish food (and poo) do not, and IMO the things lacking in food/poo are negligible. Personally I rather have more fish and feed more often (I LOVE feeding :D), but there's a million ways to skin a cat, and sometimes ULNS are so efficient that AAs must be used to an extent, even with heavy feedings.

+1 Amen!! Very well said.

If not in a true low nutrient system the aminos will just contribute to unwanted excess nutrients. In some cases (I've experienced it) you can cause stunting of growth, decreased polyp ext, and even necrosis when dosing too much AA's. This can all also occur without the typical signs of excess nutrients such as inceased algae growth, browning of corals, increased no3, or increased no4. I had none of those typical signs yet had a very clear negative reaction (retracted polyps, stunted growth, and a small amount of necrosis begining) when I significantly increased my AA dosing.

Jeremy

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i was wondering if anyone doses amino acids and how effective it really is for the price or if there is anything cheaper.

I dosed zeovit Amino acids for about 6 months and saw no difference in my tank before, during and after.... Only time I think they should be added is if your tank has too low of nutrients. Most people do not have this issue. It’s possible now a days with bacteria method and some of the way to efficient skimmers out there to actually get to that point. Amino acids can come in through normal feedings of frozen foods etc.

Dave

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back