Does anyone know what these are?

Barney 7778

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have been working away during the week and leave the wife and youngest to look after the tank but I have noticed a small Zoa colony that has been taken over by what I think may be hydroids? Can anyone confirm and if so should I remove from the tank or are they harmless? I e attached some lights off photos as they seem to look clearer

IMG_8353.jpeg IMG_8356.jpeg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the picture! I want to say feather dusters, but I am leaning towards Aiptasia. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

OP
OP
B

Barney 7778

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worry was Aptasia as I had a small outbreak a couple of weeks ago however it never looked like these.

LeleganceCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just some little tube worms, i have tons, they dont sting they only filter water. You should remove them if possible if they are on coral, since they might irritate it. Otherwise harmless. I would recommend just pull them off carefully with any tweezers you have its pretty easy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys, I have been working away during the week and leave the wife and youngest to look after the tank but I have noticed a small Zoa colony that has been taken over by what I think may be hydroids? Can anyone confirm and if so should I remove from the tank or are they harmless? I e attached some lights off photos as they seem to look clearer

IMG_8353.jpeg IMG_8356.jpeg
Looks like a cluster of tube worms which use their fans to capture food. Some refer to these as cluster dusters

OP
OP
B

Barney 7778

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just some little tube worms, i have tons, they dont sting they only filter water. You should remove them if possible if they are on coral, since they might irritate it. Otherwise harmless. I would recommend just pull them off carefully with any tweezers you have its pretty easy
Ok thanks, you learn something new every day!

Back