Does feed krill to anemones cause them to bubble?

Does feeding krill to anemones every few days cause them to bubble?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No idea

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some of my anemones 20 plus years now and several are 14” across, so conditions clearly not the problem. With approximately 36 currently some are in high light, med and low light. Same with flow, some are in very high flow, medium and fairly low flow areas.
Yes the get food on a daily basis from me feeding the fish, even though I did not feed directly for many years. They also have a constant supply of nitrates (20-25 currently) in the water, which is really all the food they need.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nems are always bubbly. I'm pretty sure direct feeding has absolutely nothing to do with bubbliness. It is only a temporary feeding response. I have not direct-fed my anemones in 2 years, and they are always bubbly. Now, nutrition and other living conditions, on the other hand are a very complicated topic as they also catch food particles from the tank, absorb amino acids, get affected with the flow, light intensity and duration and so on. My recommendation is Red Sea salt, dose amino acids, have a mature tank and 80% blue 20% white light at least 11 hours of appropriate intensity.

I have used amino acids only occasionally. What are you using specifically and how often? I see your using lots of blue light and almost no whit light. I really think that has much mor to do with it. Today 3 of the anemones I can see have some to a lot of bubbles. One is a recent addition, which has had bubbles since adding it to my tank. As you can see this one has just a few bubbles, while the rest of the tenticals are 3-4” long.
6C0827B3-6832-45E4-AC44-08BF41415119.jpeg
R

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple rain added about a week ago still has bubbles. While the rainbow BTA to the left has tenticals 6-8” long.
05A6A256-4F28-4D6C-8C16-7D68E6A4FA1B.jpeg

Twinanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used amino acids only occasionally. What are you using specifically and how often? I see your using lots of blue light and almost no whit light. I really think that has much mor to do with it. Today 3 of the anemones I can see have some to a lot of bubbles. One is a recent addition, which has had bubbles since adding it to my tank. As you can see this one has just a few bubbles, while the rest of the tenticals are 3-4” long.
6C0827B3-6832-45E4-AC44-08BF41415119.jpeg
R
Nice nems :)
I am dosing Aqua Forest amino acids, double dose, every night ( 2 drops per 25 gallons) since my nitrates are very low. I am not saying this will make them bubble, just sharing my usual routine, since it's not really clear what affects the permanent bubble or tentacle elongation. As for the lights, it is 20 to 30 percent white and rest is royal blue and deep blue leds. The video was made under all blues cause it makes the colours pop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nems :)
I am dosing Aqua Forest amino acids, double dose, every night ( 2 drops per 25 gallons) since my nitrates are very low. I am not saying this will make them bubble, just sharing my usual routine, since it's not really clear what affects the permanent bubble or tentacle elongation. As for the lights, it is 20 to 30 percent white and rest is royal blue and deep blue leds. The video was made under all blues cause it makes the colours pop.
Thanks for the info. I will continue my experiments to see if I can determine how to make them bubble. Not that I dislike the flowing tenticals, but just trying to learn something else.

Twinanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will continue my experiments to see if I can determine how to make them bubble. Not that I dislike the flowing tenticals, but just trying to learn something else.
beautiful tank, mate!
I quite enjoy both, bubbly or long tentacles, both look beautiful when the animals are thriving.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started running lights at 50% blue, my BTA's are constantly bubbled out. Also, my tanks run dirty as my Zoas seem to like more nutrients.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started running lights at 50% blue, my BTA's are constantly bubbled out. Also, my tanks run dirty as my Zoas seem to like more nutrients.
My suspicion is that is much more likely to contribute to bubbles than feeding from what I have seen. I am going to keep feeding them krill a little longer. I plan to either adjust my current light color spectrum or add more blue lights and see what happens next. I hopefully I can do that in about 2 weeks or so.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding several of my anemones krill every other day since 11/21 till now with no signs of bubbles on any of them. That's 47 days. I will continue a bit longer, but I think it pretty much disproves that theory. I will possibly feeding them more after making sure my N & P have not shot up already from all the extra food.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked for mine. Every body seems to have different experience with them. I don't think you'll find one specific way to make every ones anemone to bubble. Hope you can figure out how to get yours to bubble.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking it is probably a combination of things at this point. If it was just one thing we would probably know it by now. I am thinking lots of blue light and low nutrients possibly. Some of mine do bubble from time to time.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to let everyone no that as of last Friday the test is over. I intended to run it a bit longer Howe’s I have become ill with something and have not seen my tank since Thursday night. So 48 days. At that point there were no changes I could point to feeding krill except one of the smaller BTAs I was feeding grew a bit. The others did not seem affected at all. I was feeding the larger anemones two whole krill every other day up till then.
I think it is pretty safe to say feeding krill does not cause BTAs to bubble. Now their may be some other contributors that when paired up my affect them bubbling.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably bubble to gain more surface area and collect light. Try reducing lighting for a few days to 20-40%

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to imagine they would have more surface area then tenticals 8-10” long. I think lighting is part of the cause for what ever reason. It seems like tanks with a lot of blue light and less white tend to produce bubbles. At this point I am hidden away in my bedroom for a few more days. Still waiting on Covid test results 5 days later!

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conclusion is: Feeding makes no difference! All the extra food did was increase the algae growth in my system. Due to being sick most of the month, I have done no maintenance on my tank until 3 days ago. (Empty a very full skimmer cup, change 2 very clogged filter socks and removed a large amount of GHA that had grown and come off my ATS. Which means I have not checked my N&P levels. Or cleaned my ATSs yet which need it desperately!

I have noticed many sellers keep there BTAs in a basket near the surface with very little flow and little light. Most of these tend to have bubbles. Backing up my thoughts that it is a combination of things.

Who here keeps there anemones in a basket near the surface in low flow? Would you say they are getting low or high light?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back