Does ick attach to your plumbing?

Mike7744

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fowler tank with a ick breakout.
My fish are in QT with copper. Does ick attach to the plumbing and skimmer, reactor? Tank glass and silicone. I am thinking of taking my rock out and putting it in a tote for 6 weeks. Along with the sand. Then draining the tank bleaching it and refilling it , I will have a bare tank for 6 weeks, but I will be able to have my fish in the DT. Should I run tap water through the system, will that flush out the piping and filters of stuck on ick?
Any suggestions?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fowler tank with a ick breakout.
My fish are in QT with copper. Does ick attach to the plumbing and skimmer, reactor? Tank glass and silicone. I am thinking of taking my rock out and putting it in a tote for 6 weeks. Along with the sand. Then draining the tank bleaching it and refilling it , I will have a bare tank for 6 weeks, but I will be able to have my fish in the DT. Should I run tap water through the system, will that flush out the piping and filters of stuck on ick?
Any suggestions?
You don't need to do anything. Many disagree on the length of the life cycle of ich, I have read from 28 days to over 120. I went fallow for 76 days and it was all gone.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The usual fallow period was 76 days based on a study from the 1980-90's. Now it's felt that with a slightly higher temperature (81F) - 45 days is enough. I would not empty, clean, etc your tank - instead as others have said - keep your fish separate for 45-76 days (pick your protocol).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back