Does KP aquatics live rock need to cure?

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ordered about 20 lbs of live rock from KP aquatics. Love how their based in the keys by the way. i was wondering if i need to cure it at all. Probably depends on if its shipped in water or not i guess but i wanted to check first and see what other people thought. I havent had a salt water aquarium in over 14 years so everything feels new again. Thanks for any imput.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u have it shipped in water? If so, then you should be good. I had 300+ pounds shipped in water. 0 die off or cycling required.

OP
OP
Redshadow

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u have it shipped in water? If so, then you should be good. I had 300+ pounds shipped in water. 0 die off or cycling required.
i may be wrong but im pretty sure they said all orders are shipped in water now. i made the mistake of not curing some dry rock i bought and now im payin the price. Needed more rock anyways so this way it'll seed the rest of the rock and bring some of that ocean awesomeness into the tank as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So i ordered about 20 lbs of live rock from KP aquatics. Love how their based in the keys by the way. i was wondering if i need to cure it at all. Probably depends on if its shipped in water or not i guess but i wanted to check first and see what other people thought. I havent had a salt water aquarium in over 14 years so everything feels new again. Thanks for any imput.
Curing is done I believe at their facility and I generally place this type of rock in a container of tank water for a couple of hours to allow and crabs or mantis shrimp as examples to crawl out and get captured before going into display

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may be wrong but im pretty sure they said all orders are shipped in water now. i made the mistake of not curing some dry rock i bought and now im payin the price. Needed more rock anyways so this way it'll seed the rest of the rock and bring some of that ocean awesomeness into the tank as well
Then you should be fine. As Vetteguy suggests, I put it into my tank but left it empty of fish and corals for a couple months. I could pull out entire rocks and hit them with hyper salinity to expunge the pests. I found a couple of mantis, gorilla crabs and fireworms which I chucked. Kept the bristleworms, mithrax and pistol shrimps. If done right, the problem with pests is highly over-exaggerated and the benefits of live rock far outweighs any negatives.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got in 10 lbs. of live base rock from them last week. The rock was wrapped in wet brown paper and shipped inside of plastic bags. It was not shipped submerged in water.

Hitchhikers I received:

1 Gorilla Crab
2 Pistol Shrimp
1 Giant Bristle Worm
1 Scallop
1 Brittle Star
1 Micro Brittle Star

Last edited:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all the major live rock vendors ship in water now as far s I can tell. I just give it an inspection nd put it in. Maybe I’ve been very lucky but the worst I’ve gotten has been small predator worm that I found before putting in the display a couple of majano and aiptasia couple times. Only shrimp have been a few small pistol shrimp. Short answer it’s good to go in the display when you want to put it in.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are here. How ready to go is a tank that uses their sand?

I know mileage will vary and I have appropriate red sea and nyos kits for that. I am putting 1 lbs/ gal in a 25 g AIO. I have been ghost feeding reef chili and dosed Microbacter 7, 1 week ago. Sand arrives May 9th. I am wanting to try a couple of monti frags and a pretty plain acro after the dust settles.

OP
OP
Redshadow

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the replies guys. ill definitely let them soak in some water before goin into the display.
I just got in 10 lbs. of live base rock from them last week. The rock was wrapped in wet brown paper and shipped inside of plastic bags. It was not shipped submerged in water.

Hitchhikers I received:

1 Gorilla Crab
2 Pistol Shrimp
1 Giant Bristle Worm
1 Scallop
1 Brittle Star
1 Micro Brittle Star
thats awesome! i like critters like that roaming around. helps add diversity imo.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should be fine. As Vetteguy suggests, I put it into my tank but left it empty of fish and corals for a couple months. I could pull out entire rocks and hit them with hyper salinity to expunge the pests. I found a couple of mantis, gorilla crabs and fireworms which I chucked. Kept the bristleworms, mithrax and pistol shrimps. If done right, the problem with pests is highly over-exaggerated and the benefits of live rock far outweighs any negatives.
What’s level of salinity you use

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@JGT I just got nearly 100 pounds shipped in water. My plan was to let the rock sit in the tank without sand for 3-4 weeks without light. This would be to allow the organics to die off. Did you let the organics live on? I’m not where I can take a picture, but can share later. Love working with Phillip at KP.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve had 2 orders from KP in the last 3 months. One order I had shipped UPS was wrapped in wet paper (never had ammonia spikes). The order I just received was shipped completely submerged. Good stuff.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did similar. Kept it in tank, no sand, skimmer running, and had lights on (only blues) for like 6 hrs day. Did it for a couple of months. Had no real die off since it’s in water when shipped. Did it more for hitchhikers. Got a couple of mantis, fireworms and gorilla crabs which I got out. I left the pistol shrimps and all the worms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back