Does whitespot make fins shredded

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I saw a fish at my lfs in his own separate 10g tank on the side because he is covered from face to tail in whitespot but it looks like his fins are and tail are rotting aswell does whitespot cause shredded fins and tail. P.s it is the fireball I want

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I saw a fish at my lfs in his own separate 10g tank on the side because he is covered from face to tail in whitespot but it looks like his fins are and tail are rotting aswell does whitespot cause shredded fins and tail. P.s it is the fireball I want
Ich doesn’t cause shredded fins however if he’s alone it could be due to him being beaten up. Another thing which can cause shredded fins is fin rot.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn’t cause shredded fins however if he’s alone it could be due to him being beaten up. Another thing which can cause shredded fins is fin rot.
Could it be something else maybe like velvet but I don’t think that causes it aswell maybe he has two diseases at once

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be something else maybe like velvet but I don’t think that causes it aswell maybe he has two diseases at once
Both ich and velvet are both treated using copper at 2.25 for 30 days. Hypo is also an option at 1.009.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the lfs is doing it
Unfortunately you need to ask more about it. Many LFS run "some copper" or lesser salinity. They aren't doing this for the fish, they're doing to it blindside customers.

You'll need to specifically ask their quarantine method or the salinity. Anything other than what I specified is only to hide the disease until fish are sold.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ich and velvet are both treated using copper at 2.25 for 30 days. Hypo is also an option at 1.009.
Misleading and can't edit. Velvet is not treated with hypo.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fins start to look shredded before or after being put in qt?
Neither ich nor velvet will directly cause fin damage. This sounds more like damage due to aggression, but secondary bacterial infection from the ich is possible.
Pictures would make diagnosis easier.

Keep in mind that if one fish contracts ich, it is safe to assume all fish have it and would need to be treated.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will tell him. No his fins only looked shredded after plus he did look proper discoloured like lots of white on his purple/blue part

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Coincidence and likely poor water quality if they allowed the fish to become ich ridden

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he is using copper that’s why he has shredded fins and discolouration it is probably because he is using copper

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is an older medicine that is harsher on fish, especially copper sensitive ones like dwarf angels or wrasses.
Coppersafe and copper power are far safer and can be used on a greater variety of fish (even the extra sensitive ones like puffers).
Copper meds won’t cause shredded fins, dulled colors could be due to any stress.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is an older medicine that is harsher on fish, especially copper sensitive ones like dwarf angels or wrasses.
Coppersafe and copper power are far safer and can be used on a greater variety of fish (even the extra sensitive ones like puffers).
Copper meds won’t cause shredded fins, dulled colors could be due to any stress.
Okay thanks

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flukes can cause fins to be tattered. I wouldn’t expect to be seeing white spots with them though. Pictures would very much help with diagnosis.
it isn’t even my fish it is my friends at the lfs but really want that fish so I am trying too look at these stuff to tell him to do so it doesn’t die

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back