Dofleinia armata, its probably not an an octopus nem

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previous thread called it an octopus anemone. But after a member pointed out the armed anemone, my opinion has changed. So here is the new thread.

General description
Thick redish foot with white pimple like dots. Raised specks of color cover the entirety of the tentacles. Also continue into the central disk. Color under the specks is brown and white thick stripes with the last few inchs translucent. The very center is dark colored, brown making it hard to tell if the specks are present. Large mouth. The colored specks appear brown, red, and pink in different lighting. Ive seen pics of many different colors and underlying stripe patterns. My specimen is 12+ in from tip to tip. Tentacles appear at times to be "pig tailed" at the top 1/2in.

Habits
Seems to be nocturnal. Buries itself completly bout an hour after lights on. Emerges from the sand just before whites go out. Arms are very very sticky. Eats snails, meaty foods, and probably any small creature it can grab. I saw it grab a 2" conch with one arm and pull in about 2" before it hit a rock and came loose. In a month or so in my display it killed and ate over 25 snails. Shells encircling its burrow.

Starting to read about it now. So ill update. :)

Here are a few vids

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I have found for pertinent information so far. Just now I found a couple of sites that claim the octopus anemone is a member od this type. But I can definitely see a distinct difference in the two. And most of the sites do not show The Octopus as the armed anemone. They are very similar though. I can see a distinct difference in the two but I am not sure that that matters. At the very least they are remarkably similar.

Dofleinia armata is one of Australia's largest species of anemone. It can grow to 20 cm in diameter, with tentacles up to 50 cm long.[2]

The base of this species is broad, the column smooth, with a broad, flat oral disc. It has long inner tentacles which are a minimum of double the size of the outer tentancles. The tentacles have visible papillae on the surface. These contain nematocysts that are very large. The oral disc has papillae as well, but weaker. These contain nematocysts also.[2]

The surface of the tentaces end in a tip that is somewhat swollen. The tentacles are either cream, brown, or plain, and are striped. They have a surface that is scale-like and are often observed curling into ball shapes that hide the mouth.[2]

It is able to expand its body and tentacles due to a well-developed hydrostatic system.[2

This species is known to live in the tropical waters of Australia as far south as Perth, Western Australia.[2] It is also known to occur in the Philippines and Indonesia.

This species lives at depths of up to 20 metres in the intertidal zone on sloping, sheltered reefs, as well as in mangroves. It may be found in fine silt or mud.[2]

Danger to humansEdit

The sting of Dofleinia armata presents a danger to humans. Injuries resulting from contact with this species are considered very painful, and can take several months to heal.[2]

Scientific: Dofleinia armata
Common: Armed Anemone
Origin: Australia, East Africa, Indo-Pacific, Polynesia, Red Sea, West-Pazific
Size: up to 25 cm
Temperature: 53.6 °F - 82.4 °F (12°C - 28°C) Feeding: Brine Schrimp Nauplii, Brine Schrimps, Cyclops, Daphnia salina, Detritus, Fisch Brood, Fish (little Fishes), invertebrates, Krill, Mysis, Schrimps, zooplankton
Tank: 109.99 gal (~ 500L)
Degree of difficulty only for advanced aquarists

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 2 pics are screenshots of the first three pages of the octopus anemone on Google Images. Second three images are the same of the Armed anemone.

You can clearly see that the octopus anemone does not have the scale like cells on the bottom of the tentacles. It is only on the top part. And you will also notice that most if not all of the images have dark colored brown or black anemones.

You can also clearly see that most if not all of the Armed anemone pictures show the cells on the entirety of the tentacles top bottom and sides. Also that they come in various colors.

They are similar but it's my impression that they may be cousins or something.

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-20-49.png

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-20-59.png

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-22-06.png

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-22-22.png

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-22-33.png

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video of it burying itself is really sweet. Have you ever come in contact with it or did you use gloves/etc? I read the part of how dangerous the sting of these can be if it's an armed nem.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive hit it a few times. Bout the same as a carpet. Really sticky and not to bad. Ive notice my euphillia have 2 different strength stings. Most of the time they do not bother me at all. But with prolonged contact i have recieved worse stings. More like a bee sting. This has been true for more than one type. Im curious if nems have the ability to step it up when bothered alot.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning the refugium glass yesterday and got a armed anemone tentacle across my fingers. An hour later my hand had spots of red with white centers and itchy like a burn on 3 fingers. Then today one has opened into a cut. Guess he is a beast. Lol

20180407_173554.jpg

20180408_110417.jpg

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! But the nem is really cool! What have you decided to feed it, other than your snails?
He gets a lil of everything. I spray him with mysis. He gets chunks of silverside, shrimp etc... whatever i have. Only once a week. And all my snails of course. Lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back