Doser Pump Siphon

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in a situation where I need to move my dosing equipment out of the sump on to the top of my hood where it is out of sight. I need the space below for some modifications I need to perform to get a refugium up and running. I explained to my wife that it puts me at risk of a siphon forming if the dosing vessels are higher than the output of the dosing line but she said I cannot put the vessels on a shelf lower down because they would be visible and no matter how pretty I said id make it she said no.

So what I came up with is I need something to act as a siphon break. I am using BRS 1.1mL/min dosing pumps. I know in theory the pinched tubing makes a siphon an unlikely scenario, it is still physically possible in this arrangement. I have an idea I wanted to post to see what other people think.

First, its important to understand the pumps themselves are the highest point in the system. They will be on the wall above the hood. Vessels will be below, but on the top of the hood. I was thinking if I got a 1/4" tee and put it on the output side of the pumps with the tee arranged so it can drip straight through and the third opening of the tee faces to the side. I was then looking at putting a stem elbow in the side tee opening and facing it upward. I figured it would drip slowly enough not to come out the side but the opening would prevent a siphon.

Any thoughts on this from the community would be appreciated.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking around brs thinking about this and I had a cheaper idea that does the same thing. I could use a tube divider right on tbe output of the doser pump, but installed upside down so the double end is up and the single end is down. Doser would drip through the fitting and couldnt form a siphon because of the other open end that faces up. It seems like it would be perfect.

200501-Reverse-Osmosis-Tube-Divider-1-4-inch-QC-a_1.jpg

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone finds this later, it worked very well. The splitter is acting as a siphon break and is above the highest fluid level in thr reservoirs. Dosing amount is accurate and all tubing below the splitters are as vertical as possible to avoid and standing fluid in the lines.
cfd3143f74663d07e21feebb29e98c93.jpg

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think the brs pumps would back siphon. I'll have to watch mine more closely.

Is it siphoning into or out of the tank?

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its on the output and above the fluid level in the reservoirs. So basically it pumps upward and then trickles downward via gravity on the output side. The dosers aren't supposed to siphon but a google search found folks with the same 1.1mL/min with slow dripping siphons in some cases so I wanted to make it 100% impossible. Also as the pump ages, it would run a higher chance of the rollers not pinching as tightly. I just didn't want to take any chances since my resivoirs are above my tank and if the pinching of the rollers is less than perfect even at a later date, a siphon is now impossible.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think the brs pumps would back siphon. I'll have to watch mine more closely.

Is it siphoning into or out of the tank?
Its not to protect against a back siphon, its to prevent a forward siphon since my resivoirs and dosers are above the tank. I protect from a back siphon by keeping the ends of the tubes above the water where they drip into the tank above a powerhead.

518902999668a1d563f797640373623a.jpg

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem on my 5ml BRS doser. What I did was add a check valve off of a air line T above the pump on the fluid out side to allow air into the line but not out. This acts as a siphon break. The fluid in the remaining out line does not tend to flow freely out as it doesn't weigh enough without a siphon to "fall" out.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost used a tee but fear of it squirting out the side leg of the tee made me go with the splitter instead because the shape of the fitting is more resistant to that. A tee with a check valve is essentially the same thing, with the valve to mitigate the potential of squirting out. I thought about adding the check valve just like you, but when i saw the splitter it seemed like a simpler solution with less parts and no moving parts.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I have worked with Peristaltic pumps for 35 years never had any problem like this. Biggest problem the pumps losing siphon.:)
I take care of about 100 units around the plant.:) Losing sipion in most cases is caused by wear on the pump tubing.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back