Dosing Amino Acids??

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm going to start dosing Acro Power to my tank with a dosing pump instead of manually. Trying to be more consistent. I'm wondering what times you guys suggests dosing. (Night day) and how frequent??? I've been just dosing manually whenever I remembered.
Also my skimmer runs at night when lights go out. Didn't know if that effects the dose of Amino Acids or not

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dose amino acids at night as that is when most corals are more likely to be open and feeding. Often times I'll dose amino acids 5 - 10 mins before feeding the fish so that the corals sense it and prepare to feed. This seems to cause them to eat more of the excess fish food.

JavaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose amino acids; among other coral foods and vitamins every morning at 6am, (works best for me). IMO feeding them a few hours before lights come on allows the corals to gather the most nutrients (leaving some left over though out the day?) Before the lights come on and the photo period starts, I am noticing the polyp extension and colour is best in my conditions.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this but stopped when someone pointed out to me that the bottle says shake well before dosing. Please post results as I'm curious if I should go back to a dosing pump

OP
OP
Luke Schnabel

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I could adjust my skimmer to come on earlier while the lights are still on. Lights are 10a-10p skimmer is 10p-10a. I could move the skimmer to 7p-7a and dose at 7am.. that way the corals will have 3hrs still of night time for Amino Acids to be suspended in the water....

What do you guys think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back