Dosing B-Ionic New questions, basic chemistry dilemma

MDSReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all,
So I’m having a little bit of a head scratch moment due to my relativity consistant perameters being a tad bit off from normal (tank is only been up for 3 months so not surprising)

Its a 36 gallon system in all, 20 gal DT and a 16 gal refugium With chaeto in place with a 12 hour photo period running opposite to DT

My DKH has been running consistant for 2 months at 10.2 DKH with weekly WC, however I had a drop in DKH from 10.2 to 9.6 in 4 days

I have a drop in PH from 8.3 (which has stayed consistant ever since getting the tank up) to 8.1
Which is more then likely due to my bioload Growing obviously.

Mag has dropped from 1250-1200 in 2 weeks (no additives just strictly waterchanges) which is why I feel that my dKH has been dropping. I dosed 25g of mag to my system earlier today (seachem crystal mag)

and my calcium seems to not be changing at all staying consistant at 435ppm

Tank cycled for a month, i then added my trochus snails, then added my corals within two weeks of eachother, waited a few more weeks then added my skunk and my nassarius, then introduced the ocelaris pair about 2 weeks ago.

I have 2 ocelaris,
1 lysmata abionensis,
Acanthestrea
Ricordia Florida
Duncan
2 trochus
2 nassarius

I say all of that to say this, I do not wish to have any more calcium added into the system however I am wanting to raise my dKH back up, can I dose the bionic separate from one another or will this throw off the balancing act they they need to? Also any idea as to why this is happening?

If you made it this far sorry for the information blast, but better to have all of the details then not enough.

D2CF33F2-85B9-4946-8767-4E9AA5D8FB57.png

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ESV B-Ionic in different amounts based on what’s needed. I have seen no I’ll effects from doing it. My DOS runs thru a Trident for controlled dosing and varies the amount as needed.
Check the variation details on your kit since Mag and Alk are dropping I would imagine the Ca has to be dropping too. If the variant is +/- 10 ppm you could have gone from 460 to 440 without getting much color difference in your kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are overthinking it.

If you follow the B-ionic directions and dose both equally, you will be perfectly fine. The small alk drop you notice (0.6 dKH) over 4 days will only be accompanied by a 4 ppm drop in calcium, which you will not be able to detect. hence you did not detect it and think calcium is "stable". Likely it is not. If you then use both parts equally, to boost alk by 0.6 dKH, you will boost calcium by 4 ppm, which again, you will not be able to detect. It will still be "stable" by your measurements.

If you dose just the alk part, you will also be perfectly fine, unless and until calcium has dropped so far that you need to raise it again.

My recommendation is to always start dosing with both parts equally, unless and until you determine tjhat calcium is actually falling below where you want it, or has already risen above where you want it.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 171 73.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.2%
Back