Dosing iodine

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the recent lost of my beloved porcupine puffer, I read some articles on adding supplemental iodine. This is necessary because the puffers diet (prepared foods in the home aquarium) are high in thiamine which leads to iodine deficiency.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is iodine and iodide the same thing? Are all the major manufacturers (seachem, brightwell, kent) the same with different names?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed shrimp, krill, squid, clams, oysters and mussels (when available), and Larry's chunky food (which has some fish in it, but it is the 3rd ingredient).

I am asking the question if I should do it. If I am wrong or do not need to, please tell me

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quality salt mix should have some as well and gets replenished during water changes. Be careful not overdose as iodine can fuel algae blooms.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea iodine kit to test for it. I have no way to know if it's accurate, but since it's a color comparison, you prepare a standard solution that you compare to your tank water sample. It definitely changed colors when I first started dosing iodine monthly.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea iodine kit to test for it. I have no way to know if it's accurate, but since it's a color comparison, you prepare a standard solution that you compare to your tank water sample. It definitely changed colors when I first started dosing iodine monthly.
Did you notice any benefit?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my previous tank, I noted that softies, especially green star polyps and xenia, really benefited from iodine addition. The GSP were browning before iodine but regained that fluorescent green once I started dosing iodine. I think other softies may benefit from iodine addition as well, but I have no data to back up that conjecture. In the current tank, I don't have many soft corals, so I just try to maintain iodine at the recommended level of 0.06 ppm.

I would say that my observations tend to make me believe that proper iodine levels contribute to brighter coloration.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is off the triton test:
A Iodine dose can have the following benefits for your aquarium:
- Improves overall health of SPS corals and macroalgae
- Promotes metabolic processes in the reef aquarium
- Can be helpful against parasites and inhibit their reproduction

I dose it based on their recommendations. I dose about .5 ml a day of their brand.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do corals. I read that carbon and skimming can strip iodine out of the water causing issues with the fish.

One of the other posts said that the fish can get their dose from food and from water changes. I'm just wondering if a supplemental dose would be helpful

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if all you have is fish, as said above, a balanced diet should take care of it. A lot of shellfish naturally contain iodine. I periodically chop shrimp or scallops to add as a supplemental feed for iodine enrichment.

johnwick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss of your puffer. Sometimes fish simply die and unfortunately there are many causes, some of which you'll never know. It is in my opinion unlikely that iodine deficiency caused the death and believe as others have stated that feeding a balanced diet along with a good water change schedule is your best bet. I would avoid adding iodine especially considering it's so difficult to test for. The best advice you'll ever receive in this hobby is to never add anything to your tank you can't test for. Good luck.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a ICP test and their recommendation over two days, see below.
I dose 0.11ml every day in my 88 litre reef tank. I have forgotten a day here and there and I never double dose. I could dose 0.77 per week but as I understand it Iodine works on a daily basis.
ICP test: -
We recommend the corrective dosage be carried out over 2 days. For the first 1 days the daily dosage should be 0.88ml. On the last day please use 0.18ml.
We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.11ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back