dosing nopox

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates and phosphates were sky high and water changes werent bringing it down and some of my lps were starting to die so i started dosing nopox last wednesday so far i havent rechecked my numbers cause i wanted to give it a week but my skimmer is filling up every day or two now before it took a week how long did it take you guys to notice any difference? i have a 150g tank and a 25g sump im dosing 10ml per day so far didnt want to do the full dose off the bat tank is over a year, 16 months to be exact

calc 460
alk 9.9
mag 1260

IMG_20201111_082107.jpg
IMG_20201111_114829.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your cautious approach.
Check your numbers and maybe up the dose if indicated after 2 weeks.

If your collection cup has a drain port maybe connect a hose to a larger container.

The phosphates are harder to reduce since some is bound to rock and sand, not just the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often takes weeks for carbon dosing to show a substantial effect on nitrate, and you may not see much change in phosphate at all, even when nitrate drops substantially.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through lowering my phosphates which were at .1 down to .03. The gfo will get exhausted quickly and need frequent replacing. Your best bet would be to use a product like phosphate e, which is what I used. It took 1 cautious day of dosing, a second more aggressive day and the a third super aggressive day of dosing where I went above the recommended dose. Now I use gfo to maintain that level.
the exact numbers were 1.8x3 doses on day 1,
12mls on day 2
25-30mls on day 3.

you will need a 5 or 10 micron sock to dose the product into To catch the precipitate.
if you do use lanthanum chloride Im not suggesting you follow my aggressive dosing, but I wasn’t too worried about bottoming out phosphates.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found out my reefbot was giving me inaccurate nitrate results. I thought I was 0-2ppm so I was heavily dosing nitrate (had an issue with dinos from running 0 nutrients). Turns out I was over 100ppm! I have a 260g tank. I did 80 gallon water changes every day for a week and brought nitrates down to 10ppm. Water changes are probably your best bet to bring it down quickly.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found out my reefbot was giving me inaccurate nitrate results. I thought I was 0-2ppm so I was heavily dosing nitrate (had an issue with dinos from running 0 nutrients). Turns out I was over 100ppm! I have a 260g tank. I did 80 gallon water changes every day for a week and brought nitrates down to 10ppm. Water changes are probably your best bet to bring it down quickly.
i have a 175G system 150 tank 25g sump the most i can do at a time is 32G and i did that 2-3 days ago

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through lowering my phosphates which were at .1 down to .03. The gfo will get exhausted quickly and need frequent replacing. Your best bet would be to use a product like phosphate e, which is what I used. It took 1 cautious day of dosing, a second more aggressive day and the a third super aggressive day of dosing where I went above the recommended dose. Now I use gfo to maintain that level.
12mls on day 2
25-30mls on day 3.

you will need a 5 or 10 micron sock to dose the product into To catch the precipitate.
if you do use lanthanum chloride Im not suggesting you follow my aggressive dosing, but I wasn’t too worried about bottoming out phosphates.
i just ordered this off amazon gonn try it

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now my phosphates look to be 1.0 i think with phosphate e i will lower them only .3 or .4 at a time so i will go from 1.0 to 0.7 them from 0.7 to 0.4 and so on the phosphate remover calculator says to go from 1.0 to 0.7 you need to dose 13.1 ml couldn't i break this down over 1 full day? like make an iv system where its dosing the 13.1ml over the entire day

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12mls on day 2
25-30mls on day 3.

do i put the filter sock into the water and drip the phosphate e into the sock?

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i put the filter sock into the water and drip the phosphate e into the sock?
Yep. I have one of the manifold ports off my return pump feeding into the filter sock and phosphate e dripping into it about 60-80 drops a min. Dilute it in rodi water. i Use about 1/2 gallon. I kept my 200 micron on my overflow and added a 7” 5 micron I just stuck into my sump. You basically wanna feed untreated water into the 5 micron sock and drip phosphate e diluted in rodi into the filter sock.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been dosing about 10ml of nopox everyday i may not have to use phosphate e after all ill keep dosing and see where my numbers are next week after another water change and week of dosing

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back