Dosing Phyto - Equipment On/Off Equipment

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am new to dosing Phyto. I am going to dose it to fight my Dino issue and also feed my new Pod population. I have read many threads and am comfortable with how much to dose in my tank.

I am trying to get a better grasp of whether I need to turn any off my system off and if so, for how long. This would include my return pump / Skimmer / UV/ etc. Or is it ok to leave everything on?

Appreciate any feedback from personal experience.
Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me: I would turn off skimmer and UV

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 1 hour. If I leave them on my tank clears very quickly.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer and uv like others have said. Also wouldnt hurt to remove mech filters. I leave the rest running that way it circulates through the entire system. I dont usually run mechanical filtration. I leave my uv and skimmer off for at least 2hrs. I have debated turning off skimmer in the morning and dosing phyto before I go to work and turning skimmer back on at lunch or when I get home from work. The problem with that is the water level fluctuates when skimmer is off or on so salinity may be effected.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer and uv like others have said. Also wouldnt hurt to remove mech filters. I leave the rest running that way it circulates through the entire system. I dont usually run mechanical filtration. I leave my uv and skimmer off for at least 2hrs. I have debated turning off skimmer in the morning and dosing phyto before I go to work and turning skimmer back on at lunch or when I get home from work. The problem with that is the water level fluctuates when skimmer is off or on so salinity may be effected.
there seems to be several opinions here...I think I will start with the 2hr window to shut off the skimmer and UV and adjust as more commentary comes in. I guess in summary it won't hurt to shut off the equipment at all...where leaving it on might be negative..

Looking for more feedback.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there seems to be several opinions here...I think I will start with the 2hr window to shut off the skimmer and UV and adjust as more commentary comes in. I guess in summary it won't hurt to shut off the equipment at all...where leaving it on might be negative..

Looking for more feedback.
The only negative of leaving it on is wasting the phyto. I see no negative impact of turning off my skimmer or uv to not waste money. I havent seen any real evidence of any positive impact of dosing phyto other then a couple corals seem to go into feeding mode when I dose, so I also give them a little reef roids or benepets pellets. They are lps so I dont know if they'd actually eat phyto but they like the food.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn the return off for an hourish. that also cuts the skimmers from the loop, but they stay on. the sump just gets well skimmed during that hour. don't have UV but if i did, id turn it off too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back