Dosing Soda Ash

Acon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I recently start dosing soda ash to offset a slight daily drop in alkalinity of 0.3 dKh each day. Dosing is hourly throughout the day at about 1 ml per dose (about 25 mL/day). I am using the BRS soda ash and mixing in solution with RODI to make a gallon (as per instructions). My DT salinity is 1.026. When the small volume of liquid soda ash enters the saltwater in my return chamber (high flow) it immediately clouds and forms precipitates/flocculent. I understand this is normal, and likely precipitation of calcium carbonate or magnesium. However, the flocculent particles don't seem to dissolve. Will they be removed by my skimmer or filter floss? If so, is this type of dosing really working?

OP
OP
A

Acon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was not sure if it was magnesium carbonate and if so, as a covalent bond, if it risked not dissolving and being removed through skimmer/filtration.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always see the Snow storm effect with dosing liquid soda ash. Stuff precipitates briefly and redissolves. When I hand dose, I dilute it about 10 fold which moderates the precipitation. My dosing pumps put in about a drop per second so that is no big deal. If you have any concerns, you can dilute your solution 2 or 4 fold and just dose twice or four times as much.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back