Downsizing, got any pointers?

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm downsizing my 36 to a 12 gallon reef as I gear up to move. The 12 will be the nee permanent home for my pair or clowns, nem, damselfish and snail/hermits.

My current plan is to run them side by side, share some water and cycle the 12 with microbacter7. Share some biofilter media and slowly move the sand from one to the other. Probably over a week's timeframe.

Any advice is appreciated. I've done a little reading but never have I moved my fish so I'm a little weary. My main concern is the tank cycles, fish belly up, you know- the nightmare! Priscilla the happy clown thanks you in advance!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New saltwater, new sand - then just move across some of the rocks from your 36-gallon and add some Bio-Spira for the size of your tank. Insta-cycle.
That's pretty much how I've downsized my tanks, pick out the good rocks for the display, sump the rest if you can.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only part I would skip is the microbacter 7. I don't see it helping anything -only upsetting the bacterial plaques you have built. I would instead use the sand from your current tank and sprinkle it over everything in your new tank. I would also move any bits of old rock and shell you can easily rummage up out of the soon to be old tank. Please note that if you start pulling any reasonable quantity of sand from the old tank it will destabilize it... for sure!

I also liked the suggestion of just using mostly new sand from one of the posters above just MAKE SURE you seed it like crazy from your current tank (see above comment about removing too much).

Just my 2 cents.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back