nitrite -1
nitrate 50
am I cycled or just really close?
Tested today
Amm- .2
nitrite -1
nitrate 50
am I cycled or just really close?

I'd say close...depending on your test kit. If your not using Seachem or a Seneye, I would say you still have ammonia in your tank.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those seneye look high tech. Do you like yours?

Highly recommended with a couple caveats.
1. Most useful for PAR readings
2. Great for monitoring tank
3. Not reliable for accurate temp and pH
4. NO3 reading can be easily affected by the sensor getting some particles on it. So when you get a high reading, you need to clean the sensor and recheck readings. This really caused me panic b4 I figured that out.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim's totally failed for me. I think I got a dead bottle. The instructions also call for way too much ammonia.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think so?
When reading up on the method I came across a few posts using the dr. Tim’s ammonia that stalled with high ammonia levels and very high nitrites. When you read the dr. Tim’s guide for their process, in the troubleshooting section when it addresses very high nitrites, it indicates that this is due to overdosing ammonia.

This leads me to believe the dosing guidelines are not accurate or that the product itself is being shipped at a stronger concentration than it should.

This obviously isn’t conclusive proof, but my experience was the same as the other high ammonia/nitrite posts I have seen. Directions were followed to the letter, but cycle stalled due to excess ammonia leading to extreme nitrite concentrations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this guideline will not, IMO, result in excessive ammonia addition. Some folks may think it overly conservative, but ammonia should not ever get too high.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this guideline will not, IMO, result in excessive ammonia addition. Some folks may think it overly conservative, but ammonia should not ever get too high.

This is precisely the protocol I followed, and it did indeed result in excessive ammonia, with the resulting excessive nitrite. I'm open to the idea that I could have made a mistake, but before starting the Dr. Tim's cycle I spotted a few threads around the internet advising to use half the recommended dosage for this reason. I did not take this advice, assuming that the problems were based on user error. I followed the protocol precisely as indicated and it resulted in excessive ammonia.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the posts where Dr. Tims failed, all the same test kit type

That part always stood out to me as a link in the chain of concern for ammonia control posts

There’s a marked lag time in those type kits compared to digital

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the posts where Dr. Tims failed, all the same test kit type

That part always stood out to me as a link in the chain of concern for ammonia control posts

There’s a marked lag time in those type kits compared to digital
That's a fair point. I was using the Redsea test kit. I don't have a digital test for ammonia or nitrite.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is precisely the protocol I followed, and it did indeed result in excessive ammonia, with the resulting excessive nitrite. I'm open to the idea that I could have made a mistake, but before starting the Dr. Tim's cycle I spotted a few threads around the internet advising to use half the recommended dosage for this reason. I did not take this advice, assuming that the problems were based on user error. I followed the protocol precisely as indicated and it resulted in excessive ammonia.

Perhaps your test kit was off, but the protocol would not seem to allow ammonia to get over 3 ppm.

here's the protocol and the maximum ammonia you could reach:

dose ammonia to 2 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] ( max ammonia 2 ppm)

If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia: 4 drops (max ammonia 3 ppm)

When BOTH ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add another 2 ppm ammonia. (max ammonia 2.2 ppm)

Continue to measure every day. When you can add 2 ppm ammonia and BOTH ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) the next day your tank is cycled – congrats! You’re done! (max ammonia 2.2 ppm)

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back