Dream System 1000+

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

Were to start... Well my Family is moving soon to a new House. Now, it is time to start back up in my hobby. So lets go for a trip into the system.

First the tanks. I will get the tanks from FishtanksDirect.com

Tank one. THE REEF TANK
this tank is a 525 gallon tank i will set up as a main tank in the system

Tank two. Seahorse Tank
a 125 Gallon Seahorse and Pipe-fish Tank. this will be Attached to the system.

Tank three. FOWLR Tank
This tank will aslo be attached and will have Triggers and Puffers along with one Eel.

All of the tanks will be attached to the system via the sump. in addition i will also have a 150 gallon volume tank that will just hold water for water changes. The Skimmer will be a External DIY Recirculating Skimmer that is 5' tall with a one gallon collection cup. I will be running Heavy Bio Media (Bio Balls, Live Rock, Live Sand, ECT) trying to run Carbon in this kind of system is going to get expensive that is why i am going to try to not use it.

Refugium is going to be under the main display tank and it alone will be 100 Gallons.

Lighting. The lighting in this tank will be DIY i can build the lighting system and control everything with the apex controller. I can build the LED lighting and set it up for half the cost if i buy built systems.

Powering this beast of a system
We are going to have LARGE solar panels installed on the house and if the math on the solar system and tank system is correct then we will be producing more then used. so no energy bill. YEY!

there will be 4 return pumps. 2 for tank 1. 1 for tank 2 and, 1 for tank 3. the sump system will have a return tank that will also be used for dosing and water changes and also used for temperature control I.E. heaters. I will be using 4 1000 watt heaters. only 3 will be used at one time and will shut off after it reaches temp.

This system is going to be well over 1000 gallons of water. The more stable the better explicitly when it comes to Seahorses.

My dream system will be ready in a year or so. but i want to get everyone's input in this to see what i can do to make it better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Theyre all nice. Liking that seahorse tank !!! UNIQUE is the word that comes to mind on this one !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Then tank #3

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

Were to start... Well my Family is moving soon to a new House. Now, it is time to start back up in my hobby. So lets go for a trip into the system.

First the tanks. I will get the tanks from FishtanksDirect.com

Tank one. THE REEF TANK
this tank is a 525 gallon tank i will set up as a main tank in the system

Tank two. Seahorse Tank
a 125 Gallon Seahorse and Pipe-fish Tank. this will be Attached to the system.

Tank three. FOWLR Tank
This tank will aslo be attached and will have Triggers and Puffers along with one Eel.

All of the tanks will be attached to the system via the sump. in addition i will also have a 150 gallon volume tank that will just hold water for water changes. The Skimmer will be a External DIY Recirculating Skimmer that is 5' tall with a one gallon collection cup. I will be running Heavy Bio Media (Bio Balls, Live Rock, Live Sand, ECT) trying to run Carbon in this kind of system is going to get expensive that is why i am going to try to not use it.

Refugium is going to be under the main display tank and it alone will be 100 Gallons.

Lighting. The lighting in this tank will be DIY i can build the lighting system and control everything with the apex controller. I can build the LED lighting and set it up for half the cost if i buy built systems.

Powering this beast of a system
We are going to have LARGE solar panels installed on the house and if the math on the solar system and tank system is correct then we will be producing more then used. so no energy bill. YEY!

there will be 4 return pumps. 2 for tank 1. 1 for tank 2 and, 1 for tank 3. the sump system will have a return tank that will also be used for dosing and water changes and also used for temperature control I.E. heaters. I will be using 4 1000 watt heaters. only 3 will be used at one time and will shut off after it reaches temp.

This system is going to be well over 1000 gallons of water. The more stable the better explicitly when it comes to Seahorses.

My dream system will be ready in a year or so. but i want to get everyone's input in this to see what i can do to make it better.
Why are you using fish tanks direct?

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be worth getting pricing on custom tanks. I have not heard good things about fish tanks direct, and the pricing doesn’t seem cheap.

You also may want to think about having the fowlr as a separate system. It will be difficult to keep nutrients low, and may effect the reef tank negatively. You would also be able to treat the fowlr with copper and not have to worry about corals.

OP
OP
B

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be worth getting pricing on custom tanks. I have not heard good things about fish tanks direct, and the pricing doesn’t seem cheap.

You also may want to think about having the fowlr as a separate system. It will be difficult to keep nutrients low, and may effect the reef tank negatively. You would also be able to treat the fowlr with copper and not have to worry about corals.

that is the awesome sauce of this system. if i need to treat a tank with medication i can transfer flow and cut it off from the main system. that way if i need to use copper then i will have it cut off and i will filtration to take it out of the tank and test it multipal times before reintroducing it to the system. as far as the nutrient levels i plan on utilizing a cleanup crew for the FOWLR tank and also in conjunction with my 100 gallon Refugium with a large amount of algae and live rock for filtration. the 100 gallon tank will basically be a massive saltwater planted tank. i also will have algae scrubbers in the sump area as well to take out.

I will look more into custom tanks tho. if anyone has used Fish tanks direct let me know what your experience has been with them.

I have not bought any tanks yet because i have not got the room were i am at the moment.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back