Dry hands

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really an aquarium question. But does anyone else’s hands get super dry from always dealing with saltwater? Sometimes mine so much that my finger tips hurt. I get that I’ll probably just get the moisturizer answer. But is there a product that you would recommend?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but for a whole other reason. I work on cars part time, and the winter months are the worst. The snow and ice mixed with salt from the roads dries my hands out and causes them to crack and hurt, especially my knuckles. My tank doesn't bother me so much as I try to keep my hands out of it as much as possible :) I use carmex hand lotion, works like a charm ;)

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but for a whole other reason. I work on cars part time, and the winter months are the worst. The snow and ice mixed with salt from the roads dries my hands out and causes them to crack and hurt, especially my knuckles. My tank doesn't bother me so much as I try to keep my hands out of it as much as possible :) I use carmex hand lotion, works like a charm ;)

I “try” to keep my hands out...I say “try” because without fail, I’ll dry them then I notice something that needs to be fixed or a hermit crab is being stupid, and back in they go. I’ll try the carmex though, I’ve never tried that brand

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really an aquarium question. But does anyone else’s hands get super dry from always dealing with saltwater? Sometimes mine so much that my finger tips hurt. I get that I’ll probably just get the moisturizer answer. But is there a product that you would recommend?

How many minutes each day are you hands exposed to salt water?

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not alone! I'm really fair and sensitive. The fall and winter months give me old lady hands. Ok, old-er lady hands.

My skin is definitely sensitive especially my hands. My skin seems to always be peeling at my fingertips, much more so since I started working at a lab and wear gloves almost all day...

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hands don’t go into my tank everyday. But I do work in a lab now with seawater. So between wearing gloves all the time and the salt, my hands are getting irritated and burning

I see. I would surprise me if sea water was really the culprit. I would be more suspicious of potential irritants (e.g. paly toxins, proteins, etc) in reef tanks, but since you mentioned working in a lab. . .

How often do you wash your hands, or use hand sanitizer?

I actually wear nitrile gloves most of the time I go deep into my tank to avoid bristle worms. I wear them working on the car and when I used to work in the lab. If they are non-powdered and nitrile, I’d expect your hands are actually better-off. But if you have to continually wash or sanitize your hands, you are robbing your skin of its oils and emollients.

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I would surprise me if sea water was really the culprit. I would be more suspicious of potential irritants (e.g. paly toxins, proteins, etc) in reef tanks, but since you mentioned working in a lab. . .

How often do you wash your hands, or use hand sanitizer?

I actually wear nitrile gloves most of the time I go deep into my tank to avoid bristle worms. I wear them working on the car and when I used to work in the lab. If they are non-powdered and nitrile, I’d expect your hands are actually better-off. But if you have to continually wash or sanitize your hands, you are robbing your skin of its oils and emollients.

They are non-powdered and nitrile. I also use the same ones at home with my tank. True, I am always washing my hands. Anytime I take my gloves off in the lab, I also work in a pharmacy so I wash a lot there too. I just really noticed it last night after trying to get a couple Aiptasia out

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not mine. ;)

U

User1

View Badges
Depending on how far I have to reach in, and even then in most cases, I'll wear nitrile gloves. I also use them when working on cars and some wood stain jobs. I always keep a box or two on hand.

Doesn't 100% mean I won't have dry hands but it helps. It also helps the tank after using lotion especially in the winter or if I'm travelling for work bouncing between different climates. Shorter showers, lotion after washing hands, etc. All help and the gloves are just another way of protecting both parties be it tank or tank owner.

Jeff Willetts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wash my hands as soon as I’m done in the tank / sump. Defiantly dries them out

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back