Dtrade’s 160 running Triton

Dtrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers!

This is my attempt at starting a tank build thread. I started it up in June of 2018, and have been running full Triton method since the beginning. I did not perform my first water change until month 10 when nitrates started spiking too high.

160 gallon DT with Triton 44 sump
Fuge with Chaeto and Kessil H360 grow light
2 Maxspect Gyre 350s
2 AI Hydra 52s
Sicce Syncra return pump
Eshopps S-200 skimmer
Neptune Apex with 3 DOS dosing pumps
CO2 scrubber
Dual canister reactor with GFO and GAC (used as needed)

B223B541-9AD7-4C9D-9534-E3EAB68342E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Dtrade

Dtrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops....just realized I started up in May of 2018. Here are pics of the install.

4EA2CA86-626F-498C-9687-B8C26FED74FC.jpeg 38719B22-B4F6-4183-917F-E50DF425829D.jpeg 0A9EFB86-14C5-4A69-AEF4-6BC3B1282F1E.jpeg CE516CB8-426F-488A-AD1E-C93C49455063.jpeg 967D442D-73B3-4B25-9658-0E6CCC9E7145.jpeg 28E5DF2D-D07A-4ABD-A60F-7AA891275723.jpeg 9C483740-E197-45FB-B187-CBB73371BAD8.jpeg 03F8BC2A-DB8C-481A-B84B-6A13B8B56350.jpeg

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dtrade like the tank, looks very good.

i've been running triton for about 4 months now. How often do you test at home? did you notice any odd readings along the way?
Also any issues growing chaeto?

reason i ask, my alk has been moving from 8-9.5, my mag is about 1200, (new better test kit coming) also i can not for love nor money grow chaeto.

i'm sending my second icp readings this week. last time the only 2 issues were silicates, dealt with by improving my rodi set up. Iodine was also low which is needed to grow chaeto. That was 4 months ago still dying chaeto....:mad:

OP
OP
Dtrade

Dtrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dtrade like the tank, looks very good.

i've been running triton for about 4 months now. How often do you test at home? did you notice any odd readings along the way?
Also any issues growing chaeto?

reason i ask, my alk has been moving from 8-9.5, my mag is about 1200, (new better test kit coming) also i can not for love nor money grow chaeto.

i'm sending my second icp readings this week. last time the only 2 issues were silicates, dealt with by improving my rodi set up. Iodine was also low which is needed to grow chaeto. That was 4 months ago still dying chaeto....:mad:

Hi there Colin,

I test about every two or three weeks, and send off ICP samples every 4-5 months. I did not perform my first water change until the 11 month mark, since my nitrates had risen to about 40-50.

Everything in the tank looked great (no SPS except for Montis—mostly LPS), but my glass was clouding with reddish dusty growth and cyano was starting to be a problem.

Like you, my Chaeto had stopped growing. After much study, I determined that it might be due to low iron. The ICP tests were showing zero, and Chaeto needs iron to grow. I suppose the water column was depleted of all iron since I was not doing water changes.

I started dosing iron, and changed my fuge light from the Kessil 80 to the Kessil 350. The Chaeto is growing great now.

I also started doing water changes, and began carbon dosing with vinegar in order to reduce nitrates.

I’m getting ready to add two Sochting oxydators (A model) to dose H2O2 in an effort to combat cyano and glass “dusting”.

You may want to consider dosing iron (Ferrion by Brightwell Aquatics is what I use). I’d be happy to consult and compare notes with you. I don’t know many Triton reef keepers. Let me know your thoughts.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me, like you i've struggled to find reefers who follow the triton method for a long period of time, but it suits my maintenance needs, and i enjoy it.
So far my water is very clear, i don't run carbon hardly ever, and try and keep everything as stable as i can. I've had a 2nd out break of dino, but that co-insided with taking LR out of the DT and placing marine pure rock in the sump. i think is was part of the pure rock cycling, its a lot better now.
I only have 4 corals that are quite small, but are healthy and growing, 2x zoa's, 1x pipe organ and a bi colour hammer.
I've not done a anymore than a 5% water change since i started 4 months ago. the only maintenance i do is vacuum the substrate ever 2 weeks, but the water goes back into the aquarium.
my real main issue is the chaeto, after i send my icp test off next week, i'll get a better understanding of where the issue.

What size tank do you have, 200g?
What Alk did you manage to maintain? mine is around 8 - 9.5, still settling
and how many ml do you dose? i dose about 9ml i think

"Everything in the tank looked great (no SPS except for Montis—mostly LPS), but my glass was clouding with reddish dusty growth and cyano was starting to be a problem"

Did you see the BRStv take on it? they too suffered from cyno, but i think it was due to power head position, not getting enough flow in the areas that were affected.

"Like you, my Chaeto had stopped growing. After much study, I determined that it might be due to low iron. The ICP tests were showing zero, and Chaeto needs iron to grow. I suppose the water column was depleted of all iron since I was not doing water changes."

i'm sure the trace elements have iron in it? Which is why I'm surprised we're both suffering. Be interesting if anyone else is having low iron.

i'll keep you posted, and you do like wise..

OP
OP
Dtrade

Dtrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me, like you i've struggled to find reefers who follow the triton method for a long period of time, but it suits my maintenance needs, and i enjoy it.
So far my water is very clear, i don't run carbon hardly ever, and try and keep everything as stable as i can. I've had a 2nd out break of dino, but that co-insided with taking LR out of the DT and placing marine pure rock in the sump. i think is was part of the pure rock cycling, its a lot better now.
I only have 4 corals that are quite small, but are healthy and growing, 2x zoa's, 1x pipe organ and a bi colour hammer.
I've not done a anymore than a 5% water change since i started 4 months ago. the only maintenance i do is vacuum the substrate ever 2 weeks, but the water goes back into the aquarium.
my real main issue is the chaeto, after i send my icp test off next week, i'll get a better understanding of where the issue.

What size tank do you have, 200g?
What Alk did you manage to maintain? mine is around 8 - 9.5, still settling
and how many ml do you dose? i dose about 9ml i think

"Everything in the tank looked great (no SPS except for Montis—mostly LPS), but my glass was clouding with reddish dusty growth and cyano was starting to be a problem"

Did you see the BRStv take on it? they too suffered from cyno, but i think it was due to power head position, not getting enough flow in the areas that were affected.

"Like you, my Chaeto had stopped growing. After much study, I determined that it might be due to low iron. The ICP tests were showing zero, and Chaeto needs iron to grow. I suppose the water column was depleted of all iron since I was not doing water changes."

i'm sure the trace elements have iron in it? Which is why I'm surprised we're both suffering. Be interesting if anyone else is having low iron.

i'll keep you posted, and you do like wise..

I’ve got a 160 gallon DT and a 45 gallon sump, and I keep Alk between 8.5 and 9. Currently dosing 11 ml per day.

I did not see the BRStv segment you referred to—I’ll see if I can find it. Seems doubtful that it could be a lack of flow. I’m running two Maxspect Gyre 350s that alternate flow from opposite sides of the tank.

I’ve used Chemi-Clean, which does a great job temporarily, but the stuff comes back. I do not overfeed—only two frozen cubes per day.

It seems to be related to ORP. When I am stabilized over 300, it recedes—and as it grows back, the ORP goes back down under 300. That is why I’m going to add the Oxydators.

I do not know if the Base Elements has iron—you would think that it would. I’m also dosing vanadium, manganese, iodine, and zinc according to the Triton ICP recommendations.

Let’s keep in touch. My email is [email protected].

OP
OP
Dtrade

Dtrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced peak lighting period by one hour and started using GAC and GFO 24/7. My ORP went from 270 to 370 and the cyano was gone within a week’s time. Bam!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%

Back