Duncan is not doing well...help.

jmcal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Duncan for three months and it was doing really well. It's been shriveled up for three days, and I am starting to think it may be dying. Any thoughts? Ii have noticed a lot of green powder-like algae on the glass lately, but other corals are doing great (zoa, ricordea, candy cane). I direct feed it Reefroids once per week. I would appreciate your advice. Thank you!

IMG_2545.jpg

EFlop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make any changes to your lights? What are your parameters? How long has this aquarium been running for?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do that at times. I wouldn't panic; it could be getting ready to hive off a new head. There's no harm in checking your water flow and lighting, though. You haven't listed water params, but there's probably nothing serious going on if your other corals are fine.

I'd feed it mysis or some other meaty food, though, if it doesn't get leftovers from feeding time or fish poop. They do like to eat.

OP
OP
jmcal

jmcal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make any changes to your lights? What are your parameters? How long has this aquarium been running for?
Yes to the lights—I recently reduced the whites but he was shriveling before then. I.025 salinity —I don’t know the other numbers, but had the water tested at the LFS and they said “it looked good.” Tank has been running fir three months. Thx!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I.025 salinity —I don’t know the other numbers, but had the water tested at the LFS and they said “it looked good.”
Yeah, about that...

...don't do that. Never rely on someone else to tell you that your numbers are "good"; only you can determine if that's the case. Get a good refractometer (not a swing-arm hydrometer; not a refractometer for alcohol or blood, and get some calibration solution so that you can calibrate it. The only real problems that I've had with my tanks have been caused by wonky salinity levels, and you should get this sorted out now. I doubt that it's a problem for you, but you never know.

OP
OP
jmcal

jmcal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, about that...

...don't do that. Never rely on someone else to tell you that your numbers are "good"; only you can determine if that's the case. Get a good refractometer (not a swing-arm hydrometer; not a refractometer for alcohol or blood, and get some calibration solution so that you can calibrate it. The only real problems that I've had with my tanks have been caused by wonky salinity levels, and you should get this sorted out now. I doubt that it's a problem for you, but you never know.
Thanks. Yes, I have a good refractometer and I test the salinity frequently. It’s the other parameters that I don’t have. I’ve been using the API 5-in-1 test kit...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, I have a good refractometer and I test the salinity frequently. It’s the other parameters that I don’t have. I’ve been using the API 5-in-1 test kit...
Do you calibrate the refractometer with 35ppt solution though? Refractometers drift. I have to recalibrate about once every month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back